Leaky Triton Ivory 2 electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Further to my woes from this thread on triton electric shower:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=274486&highlight=

I replaced the solenoid and it ran well for a little while before drops of water started to leak from the udnerneath the shower. When I took off the cover, it seemed all OK but started leaking again when I put the cover back.

So I found that the leak is coming from the round temperature control knob in the middle (6 screws on the side). When the cover is fitted into this knob (the transparent plastic centre piece), water starts leaking as soon as the shower is started. I've tightened the 6 screws around it but the water seems to flow from the centre portion.

Could someone please advise if this can be fixed/ repaired and what is it actually called?

Thanks..[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links
Thats a stabiliser valve.
no it's not repairable.

depending on what kw shower you have 2 stabiliser valves are available for this shower 8.5 - 9.5 about £ 20 10.5 about £30.

Thanks for your reply seco

Its Triton Ivory 2, 7.5 to 8.5 KW, which is missing from your list? Do you have a part number please?

Sponsored Links
I've found this topic whilst browsing for a solution to a similar problem.
My Triton Ivory II shower is getting tired and probably needs descaling. It's also leaking.
1) How do you d-escale it? Can you remove the heater canister and pour de-scaler into that? If so, what kind, in what strength and for how long?
2) We've sprung a leak from the side of the stabiliser where the heater canister is inserted? Is there some special technique to making that watertight, or is it simply a matter of replacing the 'o' ring?
3) Is there an inlet filter somewhere that may need de-scaling also? There's no mention of one on the parts diagram...!
Any help/advice gratefully received!

probably needs descaling. It's also leaking.
what makes you think this ?
2) We've sprung a leak from the side of the stabiliser where the heater canister is inserted? Is there some special technique to making that watertight, or is it simply a matter of replacing the 'o' ring?

It has a rubber o ring more likely split or worn.

3) Is there an inlet filter somewhere that may need de-scaling also? There's no mention of one on the parts diagram...!
Any help/advice gratefully received!

The filters in the bottom of the solenoid assembly, where the copper pipe joins the shower.

Thanks for your reply, SECO, prompt and to the point as always from what I can see. Comments as follows:

'Probably needs de-scaling' because it's been working for 5 years in a hard water area (Chilterns), I've replaced the shower head twice and the latest one was clogged with greenish chalky stuff that fizzes when I put de-scaler on it and, most of all, the flow rate has diminished to the point where we run it on setting 4 on low heat for comfort.

Where can I get the 'o' ring I need - do you supply, or can you point me somewhere?

The filter may be the biggest problem as the shower was installed with pushfit connections. Can you get those off without damaging the pipe? IF so, how?

Thanks for any more advice.

James

It's more likely the restricted/blocked shower head or filter thats causing your problem, so you have to turn the dial to a lower number for the heat to be of comfort.

As for the pushfit yes you can remove them by pushing the collar down on the pushfit while releasing the shower inlet valve from the pushfit.
Easier to unscrew the shower from wall and hold the pushfit collar in and push the shower unit upwards.
PS the connection should really be a compression type connector not a pushfit.

As for the o ring they don't come seperate but you may be able to locate one yourself or give the showerdoc a ring and he maybe able to help you.

Showerdoc - George on 0131 538 4343.

Took the shower off the wall and disconnected as per SECO's advice. Piece of cake, thanks! Looked inside for a filter and couldn't see one, then noticed some crumbly bits of wire mesh around the side of the inlet pipe. Was it once a wire mesh top hat style filter? If so, it's disintegrated and there's nothing left! I'll get onto the Shower Doc tomorrow for a replacement.

I've back-flushed the heater canister and stabiliser valve, replaced the 'o' ring wit ha new one from a local plumbers' merchant and stuck it all back together, following the recommended commissioning sequence.

Works perfectly! Thank you SO much for good advice and explanations. :D

hi my shower is leaking from the hose area near the unit! i have replaced the PRD, shower head and hose but it still seems to be leaking possibly from near the solenoid inlet pipe area as when i take the front off that area seems a bit damp- how do i easily clean the inlet filter? i have tried to follow instructions online but there is a water pipe attached to the bottom of the intlet filter and no room to remove- online it says its easy but i want to make sure what i am doing is right before i start undoing parts....Please help!!x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back