Lean to extension lead finishing/height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lean to extension I am doing and the pitch will be about 16° so I dont have a lot to play with (the roof windows and tiles are 15° min)

The ridge of the roof will sit under the upstairs windows and I obviously want to get this as close as possible. My plans seem to indicate the lead work going directly underneath the exterior sill, firstly is this deemed acceptable? Secondly, what is the shortest distance that can be left between that and the top of the tile?

I have attached a couple of pics of my plans for clarity.

Sponsored Links
150mm is ideal vertical distance

75mm is probably ok for minimum.

Yes lead can go under cill.

Note the lead doesnt have to be 1 piece, you can have 1 width of lead going up roof then up the wall, then another piece going in wall and down to extension roof.

150mm is ideal vertical distance

75mm is probably ok for minimum.

Yes lead can go under cill.

Note the lead doesnt have to be 1 piece, you can have 1 width of lead going up roof then up the wall, then another piece going in wall and down to extension roof.

Thanks for the reply

Will BC care if its 150 or 75mm do you know? Also how does the second bit of lead going up roof and wall get held in place?

Thanks

Lead can be tucked under a cill with no upstand - the 150mm dimension relates to vertical wall abutments.

But it must be chased in and properly sealed

Tiles and be close up too, as long as there is a small gap for the cill to drip

Sponsored Links
Lead can be tucked under a cill with no upstand - the 150mm dimension relates to vertical wall abutments.

But it must be chased in and properly sealed

Tiles and be close up too, as long as there is a small gap for the cill to drip

So it can have almost no height between the roof and the lead as long as the edge of the cill can drip down. Like the picture below:

Yes, that's it in principle. The limiting factor is how much room you need below the cill to fix the batten and hook the tile on.

Just remember to chase the lead in first, pin it, seal/point it and then bend it up to get the tiles and lath in, then dress it down, and the seal/pointing should be still intact. Or even put the lead in before the rafters if that gives more room to work with it.

Yes, that's it in principle. The limiting factor is how much room you need below the cill to fix the batten and hook the tile on.

Just remember to chase the lead in first, pin it, seal/point it and then bend it up to get the tiles and lath in, then dress it down, and the seal/pointing should be still intact. Or even put the lead in before the rafters if that gives more room to work with it.

Very helpful, thankyou

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back