1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

My Single Story Rear Extension

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by an203888, 4 Dec 2019 at 2:49 PM.

1. an203888

an203888

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Moved into a 1970's detached house about 6 months ago. Have two young kids and a partner and always intended to add a rear extension to increase size of kitchen/dining area.

I have got architects drawings, approval for permitted development and approval from building control. The size of the extension is about 37m2 and I will have to do it all myself as we have no money to employ a builder!

I have so far started to clear the site, rip up patio, dig down to find drains, cost materials and find suppliers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Are you hoping to be in for Christmas (y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. jonbey

jonbey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Going to be a big project!

4. an203888

an203888

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Haha - I would like to think that by next Christmas we can use the kitchen and have people over for Christmas dinner! Time is the biggest issue. I've put up some lights and just received some tarpaulins to make a temporary shelter so the rain and the dark doesn't stop me. I've been doing bits in the evenings after the kids go to sleep but no rush yet as just trying to plan in a weekend to get the digger in and get the foundations dug!

5. acurachris

acurachris

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Should be good when done, adding a lot of space there. Take lots of pics and keep us updated.

6. BIGbadmarky

BIGbadmarky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I shall be eagerly following this thread. Good luck fella. Keep us updated.

7. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When I was building a garden cabin earlier this year, I bought a headlamp -I found it absolutely brilliant for working as it gets dark. Much more convenient then a site lamp which never seems to be in the right place. I found the headlamp gave a broad enough light for where Im working and of course as soon as you turn your head, the light follows. Mine was about £30.

8. jonbey

jonbey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I bought a headlamp this year just for the BT cable in the loft. Now use it whenever going to the loft or shed. Amazing. My son had one that I used to borrow, but this is much better. I didn't pay much, can't remember where from either