Lean to/ garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everyone,

I'm new here but hoping to get some advice.
I'm currently buying our first house. It comes with a garage/lean to.
The garage wall is made from asbestos according to the surveyor. The roof seems to be some sort of corrugated steel? The floor is concrete.
The garage is not waterproof/ weatherproof, there's water ingress if it rains. There's gaps between wall and the roof and between garage doors.
I wonder kind of repairs would it need for me to be able to put electricals such as washing machine in there?
How much would it be - would it be worth it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221026_081012_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20221026_081012_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20221026_081502_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221026_081502_com.android.chrome.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Looks a decent space, but would you want a garage long term? If not then rather than trying to repair it - which might cost in the very low £1,000s - maybe consider going for it and having a proper extension built - either a full room or part workshop / part utility. Ok you are looking at 10s of thousands then but before spending money on it maybe hold off and put it towards a longer term spend. If you are just moving in to a place, especially your first place my golden rule is spend some time there first - at least 6 months to a year and get a feel for what you really out out of your house, usually you will change your mind a few times.

HTH

Thank you for your reply, If in doubt... .
I would love to have a proper extension but that's not going to happen for a good while as it's our first house and there are other bits that need doing. We simply do not have the funds.
We are fitting in a new kitchen in the house and I really don't want to waste space for a washing machine in the kitchen hence the idea to put it away in the garage

If an extension is not being ruled out long term then if it were me I'd do the bare minimum for now to get the washing machine in there, without really seeing how good / bad the leaks are its hard to say but if theres a decent dry area where an extension lead could be run to then maybe consider doing that rather than having electric installed upfront etc. Others more experienced here might have some angles on that though.

The main thing is the plumbing - how accessible is the water supply and drainage in that garage to get hooked up to?

Once you are in you can then start to properly plan jobs and see how your finances go, but do try and keep the long term in mind as well, especially if you need to start borrowing which might be the last thing on your mind right now but you never know whats round the corner.

Sponsored Links
Washing machine could probably go in there as it is now, a small amount of rain getting to the outsides of a washing machine isn't going to cause any issues.

You'll need to make sure the electrics supplying the washing machine are rcd protected, possibly fit an ip rated socket to supply it aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back