Lean to Roof attaching RidgePlate to existing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am building a single storey extension with a standard lean to roof, the width of the extension is 3.5m and the roof pitch is 16 degrees. I have been recommended to use 7" * 2" rafters at 14" centres and my question is what size ridge plate should I attach to the house wall and what is the best method of attachment. ( the existing house is built of 9" cavity blocks) Was thinking a 8" * 2" ridge plate with a 2" * 2" section screwed on at the base (so the rafter sits on it as well ) and attaching this to the wall using whatever the biggest size hilti bolts (think its one inch diameter) are placed 20 " or 500mm apart. Appreciate if anyone can advise on the suitability of this arrangement. Thanks

Sponsored Links
an 8" x 2" ridge plate sounds good. 1/2" expansion bolts at 600 centres is ok.
no need for any 2" x 2" bearing timber just make sure that the rafter cut is snug.

fix the plate with screws first, fit the rafters, then fix with the bolts after. this will allow you to fit the rafters without worrying about landing on an awkward bolt sticking out beyond the plate.

I would use a 4x2 timber for the plate, and fix this under the rafters so that the rafters and rafter point actually goes up to the wall - and the top lath (and top tile and flashing) then sit much better.

This saves the cost of the thicker timber and additional 2x2, and saves the labour time, and IMO is a much better job with less faffing about

I's use m10 expansion bolts, not 13mm

Sponsored Links
I - and the top lath (and top tile and flashing) then sit much better.

the guy has a 16 deg pitch which will warrant concrete interlocking tiles.

because of the nib location, the top lath will be no where near the flat bit. the flashing will sit on the tiles. ;)

some arch's specify below and some at the abutment. :?: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back