Attaching Lean To Roof Batten(ridgeplate)to Inner Brick skin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have an outhouse attached to our home with a concrete roof and single skin walls. I am planning on knocking this down and rebuilding with a slight extension and a lean to roof with the roof batten (for the rafters to sit on) being attached to the outside of the house, as you'd expect.

However I want to extend beyond the end of our house into our garden, with the exterior house wall (with the batten attached) forming the inner most wall of the new extension. Ideally I would like to have a double skin wall (block and brick) on the new walls I build for the extension, however, the batten will have to extend beyond the wall of the house, alongside the new wall to be the full length of the extension. If I want to double skin, this means that the roof batten would have to attach to the interior skin of the new interior wall to line up with the exterior house wall.

I hope the above makes sense - I can't supply a diagram from my tablet.

If anyone understands the above, Is this appropriate (within regs)? I can attach ridge tiles where the top row of slates meets to top of the new wall, so I'm not worried about water ingress as such, but am happy to be told otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Edit. For batten, I mean ridgeplate I think - sorry for my terminology.

Sponsored Links
Attached is a aerial view of what I mean where red is the exterior skin of extension walls, blue is interior skin of new walls and green is the ridgeplate/batten for rafters to sit on.

Hope this helps a bit.

That's the only way to do it if you want the rafters to run across in one plane.
But you need to be careful on the extended part; a little parapet wall (ie finishing above roof level) might be more practical.

Sponsored Links
That's the only way to do it if you want the rafters to run across in one plane.
But you need to be careful on the extended part; a little parapet wall (ie finishing above roof level) might be more practical.

Thanks for your post. Why is a parapet more practical?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back