lean to roof leaking, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
at work there is a lean to that constantly leaks when we have a heavy down pour.
The water is coming in down the brickwork behind the plaster (there is a small hole in the plaster now ) the plaster gets sodden when this happens and is going moldy

When the water runs down the back of the plaster it hits the top of the wooden door frame then finds it's way out along the architrave. (this is an internal door under the brick wall inside )

We have had the builder back, and he said it was due to the guttering above being blocked. i cleared the guttering but it happened just the same at the next heavy downpour. we got him out again (he came when i wasn't there) and again blamed the gutter being full/blocked :confused:

I have took some pictures of the area, i am not an expert but believe that there should be something else where the plastic roof joins the brickwork under the lead ? there is a brown plastic type edging but it leans toward the bricks helping the water to run the wrong way. i can also get my fingers down the gap ?

i also think the lead should be a bit wider and cover onto the plastic more than it does ?

any help and advice greatly appreciated :)
View media item 41987 View media item 41988 View media item 41989View media item 41991 View media item 41992View media item 41990

Sponsored Links
gramps, you could make your post a lot easier to read by reducing its width.
Just press returm after about two or three photos, and have no more than two or three photos in a line.
You could put them all in a column if you wished.

I feel sure there must be profile for an abutment as that one is not, but if you want you can get a tube of lead seal lift the lead and clean the area and stick it down then water should not get under the lead.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it looks to me as though they've used a capping piece against the wall instead of a proper abutment piece, and poorly fitted at that too, allowing the side nearest the wall to drop.

As per catlad's advice, due to the difficulty of access towards the top of the connie roof, the answer is more of a bodge than a remove the wrong piece and replace with the correct piece.

How far down is the water penetration problem? If it's only a metre or less, then you could access the area.
Carefully lift the lead, no need to lift it too far. Clean up the area, even apply a bitumastic primer to the brickwork, then apply a flashband to the offending area, perhaps a 100mm wide band might be sufficient. You're looking to seal the translucent plastic sheet to the brickwork joint.
You can, if necessary use more than one strip side by side, applying the lowest (to the plastic sheets) first.

Flashband does come in a variety of sizes but you may need to go to a proper BM for greater than 100mm wide, or try off t'internet.

Finally redress the lead back over the area. You may need to replace any mortar fallen out of the lead/mortar joint. You can use a lead coloured sealant for this, from a tube.
If the flashing is disturbed too much it may need replacing properly with lead wedges, so if you see any fall out, save them for re-use.

That bottom piece of lead is a bit suspect too, there's not a lot of lap on it. It would be more than possible for water to be sucking up such a small lap and I'd replace it with a larger piece or at the very least (even though it will still be a bodge) "glue" the pieces together with the leadmate.

View media item 41991Best to do a proper job for long term, really need a edge glazing bar screws to the brickwork, if it's too far away then pack it out with timber batten then lead flashing over it

Thanks for all the replies :)

the company is trying to get the original builder to fix this, but twice he has been out and said the guttering was blocked ? ( i wasn't there ) first time there was some debris but in my opinion not enough to cause a problem, i cleaned this out so not sure how it can be blocked again :confused:

would i be right or wrong in thinking that a roof should be watertight from water falling onto it ? obviously when i say watertight i don't mean if you had a pressure washer fire up the roof and under the tiles E.T.C but if there was no guttering it would still leak when rained heavily upon ? (the roof doesn't know if the water is from rain or from a gutter :confused: )

i will try to get some pictures of the inside, its hard to say how far up the water is actually getting in as i think the plaster is drawing the water across.

thanks again

View media item 41991The problem most likely to be you're not getting equal pressure of the bar capping therefore tilted, another theory, you could add a small strip of polycarbonate sheet as same as others next to the wall as I think you have got room for this then the capping will be level therefore watertight

You are having these problems because the person who put it together used a capping piece instead of an F. TYPE abutment profile. Show the photo's to the company and anybody with any brains will realise he has cocked it up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back