Lean to roof minimum pitch...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a lean to roof built on my rear extension (not yet tiled) and the builder has built it at a pitch of 15.5 degrees... I told him I wanted marley modern tiles that have a minimum pitch recommendation of 17.5 degrees. Is this just a guideline or is it imperative that the pitch is no less than 17.5 because he' was telling me it will be ok. Problem is he's done a runner with the money I paid him so I've been left with a potential problem that I'm going to have to rectify myself. So before I rip the roof down I was hoping for some advice if anyone had any. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The Moderns should not be fitted below 17.5.
You can either fit something like a Sandtoft 20 20 or maybe you could increase the pitch by fixing firring pieces on top of the rafters.

Thanks, Is furring common practice in situations like this? and would BCO be ok with it?

Is it at 15.5 for a reason - do you have the space under any upstairs windows to take the thickness of the battens, tiles, and some lead flashing?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Is furring common practice in situations like this? and would BCO be ok with it?
It certainly is when a truss roof company makes a cock-up of the roof pitch, yes.

BC will be fine.

P.S. you could go with a Marley 'Wessex' :idea:

Thanks for all your advise... I've decided to go with the Wessex, a little different to mods, and a little more expensive, but will solve the problem. pitch was probably low due to closeness to underside of window like someone mentioned. thanks again. Daz.

. pitch was probably low due to closeness to underside of window like someone mentioned. thanks again. Daz.
Yeah, always a bummer when the builder defies the customer and sets a roof pitch so that you don't end up with the roof tiles hitting your bedroom glass.
Top tip: Roof pitch dictates tile choice first and not customer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back