Lean To Shed - Clay Soil Foundation advice

Thanks for your reply. I could do that but have a fence at the end so won't serve much purpose. So I am guessing if its not attached to the house I don't need building regs?
That would make it exempt if less than 15 sq m, planning may still be required

Sponsored Links
Its an extension regardless of its construction as far as B regs is concerned

I would only class it as a covered way if it was permanently open ie no doors, if doors are fitted its an extension, unless its fitted with a clear or translucent roof. Your LA may take a different view but thats how I would deal with it
A carport has to be open on 2 sides, there is no definition for covered way. Quote from LABC

Its an extension regardless of its construction as far as B regs is concerned

I would only class it as a covered way if it was permanently open ie no doors, if doors are fitted its an extension, unless its fitted with a clear or translucent roof. Your LA may take a different view but thats how I would deal with it
A carport has to be open on 2 sides, there is no definition for covered way. Quote from LABC

Thanks for your reply. I could do that but have a fence at the end so won't serve much purpose. So I am guessing if its not attached to the house I don't need building regs?
Well then it’s just a shed, the attached is the problem

Sponsored Links
Thats why I said your LA may have a different opinion. If it was not open ie fitted with doors then I would not treat it as a covered way and insist on an application as did the last two authorities I worked for.

So if I am not attaching it to the house I don't need buildings regs? Any ideas on how big a gap to leave between the shed and house for air flow?

I’d look at the possible need for access for construction and maintenance so what could you fit in, or if that’s not a concern well 50mm is used for air flow in many instances ( does seem a little small for this) and I’ve actually found 2 LA who define covered as a attached structure with a door at either end and several more that just don’t define them :whistle:

I’d look at the possible need for access for construction and maintenance so what could you fit in, or if that’s not a concern well 50mm is used for air flow in many instances ( does seem a little small for this) and I’ve actually found 2 LA who define covered as a attached structure with a door at either end and several more that just don’t define them :whistle:
Thanks for your reply,

Access is not so much an issue as am planning to prefabricate the walls and bolt them together, also thinking to use pvc cladding so maintanence should be minimal.

I’ve actually found 2 LA who define covered as a attached structure with a door at either end and several more that just don’t define them
As I have already repeated, this is my personal interpretation as well as my last two authorities, other BCO's and LA's may take a different view, so there's not much point discussing it further until it has been confirmed either way by the LA in question.
Actually this is the sort of work I would probably drive past with a set of blinkers on if I saw it in progress to be honest, but they have a tendancy to come back to bite you when neighbours complain.

Thanks for your reply, so when you say allow for some movement do you mean to keep it detatched from thd house and build a seperate wall? I thought of this but was concerned with the small gap between the house and shed getting damp

No, attach it to the wall, use the wall as the hut wall, but design it so that any small movement can be accommodated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back