Learing how to plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done a bit of taping joints in plasterboard which eventually looked ok but took me a long time and quite a bit of sanding compared to a pro but I would like to learn how to plaster properly. I'm renovating an old house and it's going to need loads and loads of plastering (skimming and probably the bottom coat as I'm having to go back to the bricks in places). Although paying somebody would be quicker and easier I plan to renovate more houses and would like to learn (for myself, not to work as a tradesman).
Can anybody recommend the best way for me to learn (best course to go on, good books to read, finding somebody who would be happy to teach me on the job, etc. etc.) Also, how long is it likely to take realistically to be be good enough to take a bare brick wall and get it to a reasonable finish.
I'm in Llandudno, North Wales if anybody on here wants to come and teach me whilst plastering my place? !
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The pro's will be along any time soon.
A friend of ours did a 5 days course, cost him about £300 i think. He thought it was good. Prior to that i did his plastering.
A friend taught me.....and practice did the rest.
I'm a perfectionist, but i'm at a stage where i'm happy that my skimming is an acceptable standard to even me. And a bit of sanding can turn an average job into an excellent job, so no worries.

Might be better to pay a plasterer an agreed rate to learn from him one to one. BUT.....practice is what makes perfect imho.

Rendering is a lot harder as you need to get that right otherwise the finishing coat will be harder to make the wall look right. (level etc)

I learned by watching a plasterer for twenty minutes. All you need to know is the theory behind what you are doing and it's a doddle.

Sponsored Links
I learned by watching a plasterer for twenty minutes. All you need to know is the theory behind what you are doing and it's a doddle.

Best I've seen here yet. Fair play to you joe. Ive not seen anyone able to take it off the hawk properly after 20 mins. Plastering is simple, in theory, for sure. In practice you are gifted to master in less than half an hour.

Great stuff..

If you can do one type of work then you can do another. It's pretty easy really. Soon as you get the timings right and mix consistency. Which bit you find difficult? :confused:

If you can do one type of work then you can do another. It's pretty easy really. Soon as you get the timings right and mix consistency. Which bit you find difficult? :confused:

Joe, I've not even seen an apprentice yet able to get the mix right after just 20 mins on the job.

I've seen guys who can skim , feck up other stuff.

How do you mean if you can do one type of work you can do another? Do you mean if you can fix skirting you can plaster , or if you can skim, you can pebbledash?

You are telling me that you watched a man for 20 minutes and then you could plaster?

You needed to watch him no more, nor get any more advice - as I said , fair play. If I wore a hat I would take it off to you.

I shouldn't bite at this, it's too obvious a wind up . Things must be quiet in GD :D

I don't think you can possibly understand, take in and then apply the skills yourself in that amount of time.
You won't even see the plasterer do all that needs to be done to skim a wall in that time.

But.....i don't think you need more than half a day to see it all done and undertsand it.

The rest is then practice.....you'll still learn tips etc on the way.

I wouldnt want to use the work 'troll' as it has negative connotations, but while if never plastered in my life, i wouldnt be too supprised if watching a plaster for 20minutes, on and off over a few hours, gives you enough information to have a stab at it, from where with practise, you can get better.

Not that thats quite what joe said.

Daniel

It all comes down to understanding what you are doing. Once the prep is done he showed me his mix texture. He showed me how to apply it and leave the hollows filled. He then came back to it a bit later when it had firmed up and applied a second coat, then when that firmed up he came back and smoothed. Then came back and gave it a quick polish.

Oddly enough the guy was a joiner by trade that just liked to plaster. He did an open plan lounge and the hallway in the four hours that I was there. Top job too. He actually learned the same way. When you know what you are trying to achieve there is really nothing to it.

Lets not get confused here between plastering and skimming, skimming is easy, well it can be easy if the background is right. I'm self taught. Firstly I would read through as many posts on here as you can stomach, theres hundreds of excellent posts by skilled and knowledgeable tradesmen on here that will make you understand the principles of what you want to do. The easiest thing to do, IMO, is skimming onto a good flat straight plasterboard wall or ceiling (dont be afraid of ceilings, its the same job and principles, your just more likely to get gear in your hair, eye, mouth, nose and ears!) In fact it's a good idea to do the ceiling first in any room thats being completely plastered. Things get more difficult from there, a plasterboard wall thats perhaps been dabbed but the boards dont sit well with each other is a little trickier, you could apply three coats of skim rather than two to help bring it out or you could need to use bonding to get to a nice flat base. I would advise you to just have a go at plastering a flat plasterboard wall or ceiling and see how you do, always use a two coat method, don't think you'll do it in one coat, not with lots of experience and practice. remember to be patient as you'll more than likely choose a small wall or ceiling and find yourself playing around with the plaster too much. heres a rough idea of what you should be doing

1 - prep - assuming all boards are fixed and theres no flex between joints you will apply scrim tape bridging every butt join between boards and also internal corners, you can get 4" scrim which i really like for internal corners as it can be easy to catch the 2" stuff and it can pull out. apply angle beads to any external corners.

2 - prep again - make sure you havent missed any of the above and make sure that the room your working in is clean and tidy, you dont want to kick a lot of rubble of grit into your plaster

3 - apply your first coat, I like to start at a top right hand corner and work my way across and down, dont be to concerned about what it looks like, just get it all over the area, once its all on you can go back over the area and flatten out a bit, dont spend to much time on this you need to get to step 4

4 - clean your tools and buckets, brush in your corners with a wetted brush, flatten off any ridges you may have created and then make your second mix, I like the second mix to be a little bit runnier than the first

5 - your first coat should have firmed up a little by now, its hard to explain but your second mix needs to be ready by this point, it doesnt take long, then you apply the second coat as you did the first, this coat will fill any voids you may have left

6 - time to clean up again and have a cup of tea, two sugars, keeping your tools clean is as important as doing a good job

7 - the plaster should be fairly firm now, you have two choices as to how you tackle the next part, my preference is to use a spray bottle, others will use a brush, your gonna apply a little bit of water to the wall to act as a lubricant really and then your going to go over the wall, this will take care of any ridges or little divots you've left, i use a spray bottle because if your a bit keen at doing this stage the plaster may not have firmed up enough and if you flick a brush of water at the wall it will create craters in the skim. dont over do this though.

8 - once the plaster has set but is still dark you can apply another dab of water and polish it off, dont over do this bit either, well thats not true really you can do this until the cows come home if you want the wall to shine like glass and you dont want the painter to be able to paint it, i suppose it depends if you like the painter or not :LOL:

Ive prob missed loads of info out but its all on here, tools you'll need, consistency of mixes, so on and so forth. Good luck. oh and always buy a stainless steel trowel.

I'd agree with most of what 1john says, with the exception of a few comments from me:

1 - i NEVER scrim internal corners, wall-wall or wall-ceiling. Some pro's do, some don't, so it's a choice, not a "must do". My reasoning is that if there is movement, then you risk slight damage to BOTH surfaces. Plus, when some corners aren't true then scrimming down them can be an art in itself. Caulking when all is finished and dried has never let me down.

3 - every single plasterer i've known has always started bottom corner first (as i do) bottom right for left hander (like me), bottom left for a right hander. Again, maybe not a hard and fast rule, but i think that is the usual method.

5 - just to help the OP, my definition of 'firmed up', is i when i can just see my fingerprint when i dab my finger onto the wall. Then i apply the second wetter coat.

6 - NO SUGAR IN TEA....that's for brickies! :mrgreen:

I would "always" advise scrimming "all" internal corners Kjacko. I've been plastering for nearly 50 years and i've never missed one yet. Sometimes, it might even involve cutting back plaster on 2 walls in a corner/s and fitting wire lath, but it's better tying all internal corners in, than filling up cracks at a later date with caulk,,,, again and again. Scrimming a corner doesn't gaurantee things wont move and crack, but in the majority of cases it works great.

As Sir Isacc Newton once said to me, "better to have scrimmed and it cracks, than not to have scrimmed at all". :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back