Learing how to plaster

I would "always" advise scrimming "all" internal corners Kjacko. I've been plastering for nearly 50 years and i've never missed one yet. Sometimes, it might even involve cutting back plaster on 2 walls in a corner/s and fitting wire lath, but it's better tieing them in than filling up cracks at a later date with caulk,,,, again and again. Scrimming a corner doesn't gaurantee things wont move and crack, but in the majority of cases it works great.
As Archimides once said to me, "better to have scrimmed and cracked, than not to have scrimmed at all" :D

Lol, nice quote.
But i guess this is an example of choices. I certainly bow to your superior knowledge and experience rough, but i've never had issues without using scrim tbh.
That said, on some jobs i've done there has bee movement cracking, notably on my ensuite that i've just finished installing. But that had eejit sparkies stomping around in the loft.
Are you suggesting that scrimming the corners in this situation would not have resulted in cracking? If so, i'll consider revisiting scrimming.
Also, as a matter of course i ALWAYS caulk corners, to provide a better finish before decorating.

Sponsored Links
Hi kjacko , you say you always start bottom right for "lefties" and should be bottom left for "righties" Well I think you will find the majority of spreads start Top left for righties and Top right for lefties..working across and down the wall. Like I have said before its this way so no new work falls on you old work this is the case more so when rendering... ;)

Completely agree with Roy.
I haven't met any spread starting from the bottom.
times are changing im afraid with the size of the hits i was taught top to bottom but quickest way is bottom up its the easiest way to do big hits start at bottom go as high as you can go then jump up on hop up and then access tower, if u start at top on such hits then you have to knock up on access tower or get someone to give u a hand lifting the skim its a lot quicker this way all i have to lift up is enough for the top and i dont have to bend down to do the bottom bits, all the spreads ive worked with latley starts at bottom View media item 51822 View media item 51823 View media item 51552

Sponsored Links
Bottom first is more economical of movement. But for big lifts say over 3m, top first suits some. But better all round to do most of the work carrying and movement without climbing up. Then just fil in a small area

i to do a bit of plastering and im a leftie,i always start top left and work on to it.

Lol, well that just goes to show how many different ways there are to skin a cat.

I know it's not my thread, but thanks for the input on starting positions guys, i found that quite eye opening.
Top to bottom does makes sense i guess.....might try it sometime.

Thanks everybody for all your help (especially 1john's detailed post). It's interesting to hear that even the pros have different techniques. I've decided to just use one room for testing and will just give it a go based on the information I have got from this web site. I'm fully expecting to have to chip it all off and start again at least a couple of times but we'll see. I've also got a plastered coming over to do some other areas and hopefully I can see how he does it and what materials he uses. Not asked him if he's willing to give me some guidance yet but if he's happy to then even better!

You need to understand the PRINCIPLE - the rest is just practice. If you don't understand what you are trying to achieve - then you will never achieve it. You learn to plaster in your head.

Thanks Joe, I agree that knowing what is required is half the battle - then it's lots of practise. I think being shown the ropes as it were will really speed up the learning curve and I can pick up tips and advise that I wouldn't ever work out just going it alone.

Just had the plasterer round who answered all my questions and is more then happy to teach me. I've got lots of wall paper stripping and dry lininig / ceiling replacements to do but then he's going to come and work with me. Excellent news - I'm looking forward to it ! Might be time to splash out on a decent trowel!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back