Plasterboards over blown plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not very good at DIY here so would appreciate any feedback.

I'm getting an expert in to renovate my living room (1930s house).
The party wall has a lot of blown plaster and I'm wondering what the best way to fix is. One tradesman has advised that he will put plasterboards over the walls and skim over. Is this the best way forward or is it better to remove all the blown plaster and get it replastered?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Your 'expert' will advise :)

Seriously, if the plaster is loose or sounds hollow then chop it off back to brick.
If there's any sign of damp in the wall then dotting and dabbing pb will give you problems.

This is what I thought regarding plaster that sounds loose or hollow. The 'expert' has advised he will dot and dab plasterboards everywhere on top of the blown plaster already there. I don't even think he's mentioned batoning the boards so I'm a bit worried he may not be as expert as he conveys.

Sponsored Links
Expert at separating customers from their money probably :) . Dot and dab done on the cheap can leave you with significant problems- draughts behind the boards, hollow sounding wall/room, wobbly boards....if you're paying for the whole job, chop the old failed stuff off then find a proper plasterer if the walls are in reasonable nick. Or dot and dab the boards yourself (search on here for how to do it properly) then get someone in to skim it.
Only tricky thing with dot and dab is getting the board plane correct (so the boards are vertical and straight)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back