Least disruptive way to knock down tiled cabinet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my shower wetroom there's a tiled cabinet attached to the wall that is used to store a shower pump. This cabinet is rotten through on the inside and needs to be removed and replaced. It's a council property and workmen and scheduled to come round in a few days to knock it down.

The thing is the shower room is next to an airing cupboard that has suspected artex ceiling. I'm concerned that hammering the cabinet could cause vibrations that disturb it. Would a reciprocating saw be better in this instance?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If they damage it they will be responsible for repairing it. Just leave it up to them.

if the art is so bad that hammering in another room is an issue, you have problems anyway,

I doubt they would just hammer away, as removing the inner structure from the wall would create less mess and less damage to the remaining bathroom. Chances are that the framework would be screwed to the wall?

Sponsored Links
If it's that bad they'll possibly just bar it off the wall (pull it off using a big pry bar). Quieter than other methods, and generally creates a lot less mess. Either way, of you are concerned about it, empty the airing cupboard out before they come and lay newspaper at the bottom to catch anything that drops.

Whatever you do, never use a vacuum to deal with fallen Artex waste - the filters on domestic vacs simply aren't up to trapping the dust from plasterwork of any description and you'll end up blowing it all over the place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back