Leave water pipe buried in wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Long story short, I'm planning on renovating a bedroom in my mother's house. The bedroom is an extension on a 200+ year old house, and used to hold a central heating water tank. As a result there are multiple copper pipes running through the house to the location of the tank.

We recently modernized the central heating and installed a combi-boiled, and therefore removed the water tank. This has left the copper pipes running into the bedroom unused.

As these pipes run along the walls - one along a picture frame and one along the floor - they are unsightly and I want to remove them.

My problem is that both pipes enter the bedroom from a next door hallway (in the original house) through the middle of a wall. The pipes are boxed in the adjoining hallway and feed into the roof space/loft (where they're cut and capped from when they replaced the original boiler).

I'm assuming the best thing would be to open up the box in the hallway, cut the pipes in the bedroom, and pull them through. Then fill the holes, plaster, decorate, etc...

However, the hallway has just been professional decorated and I'd rather not touch the box.

Would it be a bad idea to just cap the pipes below the surface of the wall, the fill the hole and plaster it over? I'd be happy to open the box up and remove the pipes fully when we maybe redecorate the hallway in a few years time.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
If these pipes are deadlegs then it is good practice to cut them back and cap them off anyway, regardless of whether you remove them.

For heaven's sake mate do what you like. You don't even have a problem do you? Stop dithering and just do it either way. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Cantaloup63 - thanks for the clarification.

Joe-90 - Maybe not a problem, but I only have some basic DIY knowledge/experience and know virtually nothing about plumbing or building, so I was just looking for some confirmation from more experienced that I wasn't planning on doing anything stupid.

Pull out ALL the copper and take it down to the scrapyard; you'll be amazed how much money you get for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back