Leaving a garden unattended for months

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the obvious answers are concrete it over or get someone to come round and mow the lawn every so often, but what if neither of those are an option?

What steps could I take to prevent a garden becoming overgrown if I had to leave it unattended for several months? I'm not too bothered about what state it's in at the end, I just don't want it to get overgrown. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You might not be bothered but your neighbours might ,if they complain to the local council they can take action.
It you dont want to look after it why not see if someone else does there's waiting lists for allotments .See if someone who doesn't have a garden but would like one can help you out

Get some old carpets/tarpaulins and cover the garden with them.

Depends how many months, and at what time of year.

I probably don't touch my garden at all for 4 months or so over the winter, but at this time of year the lawns would be knee high if I didn't mow them for 3 weeks.

Sponsored Links
Get some old carpets/tarpaulins and cover the garden with them.

I think this is the best option. Have you tried it yourself? Just wondering what the downsides will be - besides probably not doing the grass any good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back