Leaving external wall unrendered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advice me whether it is OK to leave breeze blocks unrendered for at least 4 months on single storey extension, or is there a risk of damp getting in.

We have a new kitchen extension but the designer has built it higher than approved plans. We have applied for retrospective planning permission but until there is a decision from the Council the designer and project manager have refused to complete works in case they need to reduce the overall height by about 5-6cm. At the moment there are no coping stones covering the cavity walls, nor have they completed rendering or fixed the drain pipes running down from the roof.

We have waited 8 months for the 3 month project to be completed but have run out of time and need to move back in before the planning decision. As my wife is disabled it will not be possible for works to be done until probably July when we would have to move out again.

They have now said they will do a temporary fix to ensure watertight, but I have my doubts this will include any works to the external breeze blocks. Is it OK to leave them this length of time or is there a risk that they would allow dampness into the property?

All advice gratefully received on what has been the building project from hell.

Sponsored Links
i would get the builders to give the bare blocks a scratchcoat.....it would suffice in the short term.

your cavity should ensure you dont have dampness coming through.not the render on the walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back