Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
New here.

Need some advice on a project I’m working on. Iv had a 5meter RSJ put in across the back of my house. I have some bifolds ready to go in for now but In 6-8 months time I am having an extension. When I do the bifolds will move to the new extension.

The problem is the RSJ underside is at 2.4metres and the bifolds are 2.1metres. Is there anything I can do to bridge this gap for a few months untill the extension is done?

Builder suggested some steel stud work and render board on the external.

Any help be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Anything to keep the weather out.
don’t your bifold doors hang off the steel?

Anything to keep the weather out.
don’t your bifold doors hang off the steel?
Normally you can fix them to the steel or use a bracket to brick work yes but with there being such a gap I need something in between like some framing but just wanted to see if anyone had done anything similar that had worked

Use aluminum pressing to match colour of bi-folds PIR insulation on the inside.

Sponsored Links
Use aluminum pressing to match colour of bi-folds PIR insulation on the inside.
How would this be fixed? And how would I fix the bifolds across the top?

Last edited:
6X2 timber bolted to the underside of the steelwork will reduce the gap to 50mm then add more where needed.

Build up the threshold and form a step rather than mess about trying to support a new head.

Are we talking 30cm difference? Just a wooden beam fixed to the brickwork and the bifold fixed to the beam, it's only temporarily.

Just need to keep the weather out, use some form of roofing membrane fix it with sealant, PIR on the back fixed to the timber with some screws done.

Are we talking 30cm difference? Just a wooden beam fixed to the brickwork and the bifold fixed to the beam, it's only temporarily.

Just need to keep the weather out, use some form of roofing membrane fix it with sealant, PIR on the back fixed to the timber with some screws done.
30cm ish yes. But it’s external so would need to cover it so it doesn’t look weird and keeps the weather out. Inside of course will be plasterboard with insulation but outside is where I am struggling. Also how I would fix a timber on the underside of a steel and then fix the bifolds to it and it be sturdy

I would make a "box" beam out of 3x2 and 18mm plywood, Tek screwed to the steel with some uPVC fascia/cladding on the outside and PIR inside.

I would make a "box" beam out of 3x2 and 18mm plywood, Tek screwed to the steel with some uPVC fascia/cladding on the outside and PIR inside.
This makes the most sense to me! Thanks mate Anyone knows of any reason this wouldn’t work then let me know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back