Replacing render on external RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm ripping out two sets of old patio doors to be replaced next week with aluminium bifolds. The RSJ across the top of the apeture has been rendered externally in a way which doesn't match the style of the rest of the house. I've realised there might be an opportunity to fix this purely for aesthetic reasons before the doors go in. One reason is that my builder found some stone that matches the house very well, using it to brick up two windows.

If I were to SDS off some of this render, what might I expect to find behind it? Does anybody think this is a terrible idea? Thanks :)

Attachments

• 165539509.jpg
    165539509.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 165608639.jpg
    165608639.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20220819_125056640.jpg
    IMG_20220819_125056640.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 130126964.jpg
    130126964.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Your photos are far too close-up for anyone to see the "bigger picture" and give you any meaningful suggestions. In your rsj could be bricks or blocks cemented in or timber/plywood with mesh or cement board fixed to it.

Okay, fair enough. I've removed an internal wall and some plasterboard to look up from the inside, and I can see its what you describe: timber inside the I-beam, with more timber attached to that, and a mesh that has been rendered over. The visible metal lip is narrow and only supports the mesh/render. When I look up, I see what I think might be a welded top plate, presumably that's about supporting the bricks above.

If I removed the external render, the mesh, and the timber that's bolted to the RSJ, can a bottom plate be welded in place to support external bricks instead of the render? Any other suggestions appreciated. Ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back