Protecting external RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am new to the forum, so please excuse any posting in the wrong place!

My questions/advice needed relate to an extension that I am finishing off. I have 2 RSJ's spanning about 3m and the edge of them is exposed to the outside. The whole extension will be rendered with a monocouche render to match the rest of the house. You may question why there is a mixture of brick and block ... well unfortunately the first bricklayer let me down significantly, so I had to ask another guy I knew from a while before (but was not available when I originally started the project) to complete the work (hence the change from facebrick to render).

My question/concern is that although the RSJ's are painted in a red primer, I am concerned that they will rust over time causing the external render and brickwork to crack. There even appears to be some early discolouration that may be some surface rust. Am I being overly paranoid and if not then what should I use to protect? Also, even if I paint/cover the edges exposed, will the weather/rain penetrate the first skin of bricks/blocks and cause rust to continue? I was thinking of putting cement board up across the whole frontage and then rendering? But I am not even sure if the render itself will prevent the water ingressing to the RSJ's?

(I will be having some bifold doors under these RSJ's)

My other more 'decorative question' is about capping the wall at the top? I have a double skinned wall with insulation in between. But I have been told the aluminium cladding is a good option, I am exploring whether any other options exist? Obviously I am familiar with the usual brick capstones ... but I wondered whether there were other suggestions for the parapet?

Thanking you all in advance!

Attachments

• Extension.jpg
    Extension.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 530
Sponsored Links
The steels will be OK. Presumably you have a cavity tray in the wall to keep rain water off them, but if not they will last the life of the extension.

It's traditional copings or modern aluminium for the parapet I'm afraid. I find that aluminium looks great on caravans. Either way, the width of drip or overhang is very important. Aluminium or similar metal cappings don't tend to allow much of a drip.

We don't forgive posting in the wrong section BTW. Luckily, it's in the right one.

Hi Woody

Thanks for the response ... and glad I was right section first time!

Can I just check ... if no cavity trays then it should still be ok? There is a membrane that was added about 1-2 blocks up from the steels that directs rain away from the internal wall (the membrane is attached to the top of the parapet). But there are no cavity trays and I was going to add a weep hole too at the level of the RSJ's ... just need to know what is needed?!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back