Unsure if RSJ fitted correctly - metallic noise if kids jump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a single storey rear extension, open plan kitchen.

There are 2 RSJ's fitted in a T shape - a 4.9m (203x203x52 UC) supporting the length of the back bedroom and a 2.65m (203x203x46 UC) supporting the width of the back bedroom. The smaller one should have been bolted into the middle of the big one.

Having had other problems with the builders who fitted it, I called LABC who said they never received the Calcs and therefore the Inspector didnt inspect the RSJ's! I'm therefore a bit worried that the RSJ's may not have been fitted correctly.

For example, I know that the end of the 4.9m resting on the external extension wall is not on padstones, but on engineering bricks, and could be the same with the other ends of the RSJ's. I also have no idea if they were bolted correctly, although as far as I can tell there is no cracking in the upstairs bedroom.

My concern is that whenever my 4 year old jumps from her bed onto the floor in the upstairs bedroom I hear a METALLIC thud. Is this normal, or an indication that the RSJ's were not fitted properly?

Many many thanks, from a still-nervous123

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The blockwork is dire

Regarding the RSJ, if it was not fitted properly, then when you four-year old jumps out of bed, it would be to the ground floor not bedroom floor

My concern is that whenever my 4 year old jumps from her bed onto the floor in the upstairs bedroom I hear a METALLIC thud. Is this normal, or an indication that the RSJ's were not fitted properly?

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=284921#ixzz1U5lU7X27

must be the the steelwork collapsing under the weight...

hope your insurance is sound

Forget to take your medication tonight geraint?

op probably a central heating pipe knocking against the steel.

but to put your mind at rest you would probably be best getting a structural engineer in to check the work over.

There does appear to be oversite present but dont understand why there are holes in it.

The blockwork is dire

Regarding the RSJ, if it was not fitted properly, then when you four-year old jumps out of bed, it would be to the ground floor not bedroom floor

Well, I'm concerned that while it hasnt fallen through yet, the absence of padstones and the chance that it may not have been bolted properly, could mean i have problems in a couple of years time...

is the metallic sound normal?

Also that steel really doesnt look like a 203x203UC52 looks more like a 203x102 or something.. this would mean you would have alot more deflection in the beam.. seriously think you need to get a structural engineer out to look at it, preferably the one who designed the steels..

Also get the building control involved they are there to help.. may need to open up ceiling to see connection between the two steels..

The perspective of the images seems to be making things look out of proportion

The outer wall blocks look like solid 9" not cavity as per drawing, and the beam looks like a deep 305x165 or 356x171

The outer wall blocks look like solid 9" not cavity as per drawing,

You're right. The contractor disregarded the plans. I confronted him recently about this and he just said that the builders had license to disregard the plans as and when they went about their job and that they were just general plans (or some other rubbish like that).

and the beam looks like a deep 305x165 or 356x171
I'm getting suspicious now that the builders may have disregarded the Engineers Calcs in the same way as they disregarded the plans. Seeing as LABC didnt inspect the RSJs, I have no way of knowing what size beams are actually there! (let alone the issue of the padstones etc)

What would be the least intrusive method of exposing the RSJs for inspection? Coming from the kitchen upwards would require cutting the plaster and plasterboard, removing Kingspan insulation.... or from bedroom upstairs, lifting carpet and skirting - would that work?

Errmmmmm how the hell did this get signed off by the LABC? Because, for a start they will have struggled to meet U-Values if using a 9" solid instead of as approved 70/100 insulated cavity (unless offsetting elsewhere etc) was the BCO walking round with his eyes closed?

Something seriously amiss here nervous.

Errmmmmm how the hell did this get signed off by the LABC? Because, for a start they will have struggled to meet U-Values if using a 9" solid instead of as approved 70/100 insulated cavity (unless offsetting elsewhere etc) was the BCO walking round with his eyes closed?

Something seriously amiss here nervous.

They used Kingspan insulation boards INSIDE the house, then plasterboard and plaster skim. I only discovered all this long after the job was finished.

Still, I agree with you - something definitely not right here. LABC apparently had no problem with builders disregarding specs, and never bothered to check the RSJ's because the builder didnt send in the Calcs. Surely the Inspector must have realised there were RSJs there and would have wanted to see the Calcs or Plans and inspect them accordingly?

Looking at those images your so called builder is either a gardner or a diy'er and has probably never heard of 'building control'.

That job looks self-built to me.

Who is talking to Building Control, you or the builder? A builder can start and finish a job and get paid without them even knowing the job has started.
They normally only come out when you call them.

Looking at those images your so called builder is either a gardner or a diy'er and has probably never heard of 'building control'.

That job looks self-built to me.

Transpires he subbed it out to a very experienced builder with a very crap reputation. His work is atrocious - I need no convincing.

Walls: Foilbacked insulation stuck to 9 single skin. Have to hope for the best.
Floor: Suspended timber. LABC didnt inspect so cant advise what oversite there is. I suspect none.
Roof: Crap felt. Crap flashings. Crap fall. Had to redo the whole thing.
Electrics: by a nonregistered electrician (foreign chap)
RSJs: See this post.

I only found all this out after things started going wrong (by which time paid up too much). I trusted the builder and even if my trust was misplaced surely LABC should have picked up on the problems? Yet they glibly signed it off.

When I queried this with them they responded that they recd plans calling for RSJ's, they asked for the Calcs, my builder never supplied them, so they 'assumed no RSJ work was going ahead'. Why didnt the inspector query it when he was on site??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back