Unsure if RSJ fitted correctly - metallic noise if kids jump

Looking at those images your so called builder is either a gardner or a diy'er and has probably never heard of 'building control'.

That job looks self-built to me.

Transpires he subbed it out to a very experienced builder with a very crap reputation. His work is atrocious - I need no convincing.

Walls: Foilbacked insulation stuck to 9 single skin. Have to hope for the best.
Floor: Suspended timber. LABC didnt inspect so cant advise what oversite there is. I suspect none.
Roof: Crap felt. Crap flashings. Crap fall. Had to redo the whole thing.
Electrics: by a nonregistered electrician (foreign chap)
RSJs: See this post.

I only found all this out after things started going wrong (by which time paid up too much). I trusted the builder and even if my trust was misplaced surely LABC should have picked up on the problems? Yet they glibly signed it off.

When I queried this with them they responded that they recd plans calling for RSJ's, they asked for the Calcs, my builder never supplied them, so they 'assumed no RSJ work was going ahead'. Why didnt the inspector query it when he was on site??

so what size are the steels...

Sponsored Links
The perspective of the images seems to be making things look out of proportion

The outer wall blocks look like solid 9" not cavity as per drawing, and the beam looks like a deep 305x165 or 356x171

Would you believe it - I had the steels exposed from upstairs and from a cursory measurement it appears to be about 300 high - width a bit harder to tell but appears to be approx 160 wide. Will know more once I get an SE to measure. So well done Woody!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back