Recomendations for damproofing single skin brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just built an extension on our house which includes a garage that is single skin brick wall construction (to keep as wide as possible)

I am planning to use this garage as a joinery workshop, so am wanting to keep the moisture out.

I am looking for some advice on how I can finish the inside face of the single wall to tidy it up & hopefully keep the damp from coming through the wall.

I have a plasterer coming tomorrow to skim the ceiling he says he could render the wall using a waterproofer in the render to stop any moisture coming through from the outside, then if wanted skin the render with finish plaster.

Any advice would be much appreciated on this or any other ways would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
sounds ok but dont screw through it.
tank the wall,screw battens on wall to chosen width,insulate in between and board and skim.

Waterproofer will stop the water but it will not stop the problems that you will encounter with moisture, water vapour and condensation. Plus not forgetting the heat losses and the cost of keeping the garage at a reasonable temperature to work in - which itself will encourage condensation when the heating is turned off - if your tools and equipment start rusting you will know that you have a condensation problem.

I assume that you have insulated the roof - if not even more problems with condensation.

Bottom line - If you knew that you were going to create a joinery workshop in the garage going for a single skin brick wall and no insulation was a no no from the word go!

Regards

Thanks for your replies guys, the roof/ceiling is insulated as there is a bedroom above.

Having a insulated cavity wall was a non starter as the garage/workshop would have been to narrow (it has a finished width now of 6' 11")

What I did in the end was fixed a damp proof membrane to the wall latted it with 1" x 2" roofing laths, filled with 1" kingspan then boarded it with foil backed plasterboard,
I know 1" of kingspan isn't much but it must be better than nothing, hopefully this will keep any damp out which was my main concern.

Sponsored Links
The first inch of insulation you fit is much more effective than any subsequent inches, so that was the right thing to do.

I know 1" of kingspan isn't much but it must be better than nothing, hopefully this will keep any damp out which was my main concern.

As stated, 'tis not the damp on the outside that is going to cause probs, but the condensation within. This is likely to condense on the walls as 25mm kingspan may not be man enough. This will expose itself as black mould and will be prevalent behind any objects set close to the outside wall, i.e. cupboards or storage areas.

As stated, 'tis not the damp on the outside that is going to cause probs, but the condensation within. This is likely to condense on the walls as 25mm kingspan may not be man enough. This will expose itself as black mould and will be prevalent behind any objects set close to the outside wall, i.e. cupboards or storage areas.

With this not being a heated room, there shouldnt be a problem with condensation should there?

If human beings spend any amount of time within this room and the room is well sealed or poorly ventilated then there will be a risk of condensation.

If you have done all you can with the space you have then suck it and see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back