RSJ and BiFold door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

In our new house we are planning to open up the kitchen / dinning room at the back of the house into one large room.

I thought it might be nice to remove the back wall and install a 4 metre bifold door across the back of the house, really letting the light in and extending the room into the garden.

The door part is not an issue, but could anyone give me an idea of cost of installing a 5 metre RSJ across the back of the house.

Sponsored Links
Hard to say, without knowing the full story.
But you will need building controls involved and I would also get a few quotes from builders that have good refs and testiments behind them, this does not mean they will be the cheapest but also does not mean they will charge you an arm and a leg.
Never pay upfront and always leave some money back until build is complete, all snagging and any remedial work finished and you are happy with the work. That does not mean rip the builder off either.
http://www.ratedpeople.com/
http://www.thetradesmensdirectory.co.uk/

I'm having the same done at the moment and should be recieving the quotes this week. We're also having two RSJ's installed but I've asked the builders to split the quote down. I'll let you know once I've recieved them.

If you need a SE there's one in Noak Bridge that I used, who was good and quite cheap

Hi Penn

That would be great, let me know the price and also how it turned out. I'm in Chelmsford.

PS, what span are you covering and where did you get your doors from. Prices seem to vary alot.

Sponsored Links
mdj,

We're looking at a 5m rsj and 4m bi-fold doors. My brother in law is a site manager and the guy that does their doors on site is doing ours so we're getting a very good deal (about 800 cheaper than, the cheapest place that I'd found).

I'll let you know in the next few days on the quote.

Matt

Mark,

I had my first quote back yesterday and after stripping out the kitchen, flooring, ceiling & toilet. I reckon the 3 RSJ's are coming in at about 10k, which is about double what I was thinking.

I'm getting another two quotes which I should receive this week, but these are just for the building work, electrics and plumbing to get it to a stage where the kitchen fitters can come in. Don't know if this helps too much!!

I think you're all nuts, it'll be freezing in the winter.

Either freezing or a massive heating bill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back