Leaving the nest …..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pulling my hair out. Having had a complete house rewire, with mixed feelings about the quality, I’m at loggerheads with the contractor. A nest learning thermostat has been installed, and it’s nothing but trouble. The heating wouldn’t stay on, with the 3 port valve rapidly clicking. The plumber diagnosed a defective 3 port valve, because the system was drained down for a week and then refilled after a couple of downstairs radiators were repositioned to accommodate wiring changes and access.

A new 3 port was fitted. Same problem persisted. Plumber says it was necessary work to eliminate confusion, and narrow the issue down to the rewiring. The electrician says all is good with his work. The Nest has been set to manual, and still plays up. Narrowed it down myself, without either contractor on site.

When the nest water schedule is asking for hot water it’s fine. When the tank thermostat is satisfied it turns off water AND heating even if the nest room thermostat is asking for heat to the heating system only. The only way I can get the boiler to then ignite is to increase the tank thermostat above the temp we want, to a level higher than being requested on the nest room thermostat, which means our hot water has been scalding.

The Electrician says this is normal. Can anyone out there advise? Is this normal in a nest install? If it is I will be leaving the nest for sure …..

Sponsored Links
Of course it's not normal. Your electrician is wrong. He's wired it wrong and from the sound of it either doesn't understand what he's done wrong, or doesn't care.

Sponsored Links
When the nest water schedule is asking for hot water it’s fine.
It would be - HW only on a 3 port valve doesn't require the valve to do anything, it's at HW only by default.

The rest is because it's been wired incorrectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back