LED bathroom mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Struggling to find concrete information on what wiring is needed for this...

Circuit is RCD protected, mirror would be in zone 2 (next to shower enclosure) so it will have to be IP44 rated. It will have a shaver socket.

Can I run some 3 core and earth from the lighting junction box to position on the wall?

I dont really want it coming on with the lights so I'll be looking for one with a switch.

Would i just leave the 3 core sticking out of the wall until I'm ready to fit the mirror? Most likely I will not wire at the junction box so its safe

Sponsored Links
Circuit is RCD protected, mirror would be in zone 2 (next to shower enclosure) so it will have to be IP44 rated.
IPX4 actually (the X meaning that part doesn't matter).
Next to shower enclosure may not count as zone 2.
The 600mm. measurement is taken from the edge of the enclosure like this -
upload_2018-5-21_22-45-33.png

It took me ages to find that diagram; they are nearly all wrong.

Are you counting the area around a basin as zone 2 as some people mistakenly report?
Basins do not create any zones; they don't count.

It will have a shaver socket.
Socket must be to BS 61558-2-5 if in zone 2.

Can I run some 3 core and earth from the lighting junction box to position on the wall?
Yes - or 4 core flex

I dont really want it coming on with the lights so I'll be looking for one with a switch.
Ok. Switches are not allowed in zone 2 unless 12V with the power supply being outside of zone 2.

Would i just leave the 3 core sticking out of the wall until I'm ready to fit the mirror? Most likely I will not wire at the junction box so its safe
If you don't connect it, then, yes, it won't matter, will it?

@EFLImpudence

Next to shower enclosure may not count as zone 2.

Its not 600mm from the side panel shower enclosure; its a 1200x800 tray so its at least 1200mm from the actual shower head on the adjacent wall but I doubt that makes a difference to the zoning rules. The recess between the side panel and doorway is approx 900mm so assuming a 500mm mirror you're looking 200mm from side panel

Are you counting the area around a basin as zone 2 as some people mistakenly report?

I was working on the seemingly wrong assumption that zone 2 is 600m above basin, but to be honest the shower is more important at this point

Ok. Switches are not allowed in zone 2 unless 12V with the power supply being outside of zone 2.

Ok, I might have to conceed on that one! By switch I mean the ones that are built in to the actual casing by the way. Not sure if that makes a difference

Its not 600mm from the side panel shower enclosure;
Ok. but that may not be the relevant figure.

its a 1200x800 tray so its at least 1200mm from the actual shower head on the adjacent wall but I doubt that makes a difference to the zoning rules.
No.

The recess between the side panel and doorway is approx 900mm so assuming a 500mm mirror you're looking 200mm from side panel
Yes, but how far is it from the the corner of the shower exit? See diagram.

I was working on the seemingly wrong assumption that zone 2 is 600m above basin, but to be honest the shower is more important at this point
Of course the shower is more important; the basin is irrelevant.

Ok, I might have to conceed on that one! By switch I mean the ones that are built in to the actual casing by the way. Not sure if that makes a difference
Yes, I realised what it was.
The regulations just say 240V switches are not allowed in zone 2 - but will it be in zone 2?

Will it not be like this where you have nothing to worry about?

upload_2018-5-22_19-56-12.png

Edited - drawn more to scale.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Socket must be to BS 61558-2-5 if in zone 2.
Just noticed that comment ...

... for clarity/completeness, I would add that a shaver socket would have to be to BS EN 61558-2-5 even if it were outside of Zone 2, unless it was more than 3 metres from the boundary of Zone 1 (i.e. edge of bath/shower).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back