LED batten install via a 2 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Could someone please join the dots for me so i can install these two LED batten lights into my garage?

Consumer unit is already in place but nothing connected other than the mains in. It has 32, 16 and one 6amp circuit breakers.

The batten lights have blue and brown fly leads. I would like to turn each on & off independently
of each other using the switch shown (it is shown viewed from the back).

I would also like to install an additional two LED batten lights and would like to know the best method to do this. Run them from a separate circuit breaker, or could they be linked together using the same type of switch?

I'd appreciate any pointers.
Regards
GarageLights.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If it is domestic then comes under Part P regulations which do vary country to country but think all require notifying with a new circuit.

If commercial the electricity at work regulations come to play.

To ask such a basic question it seems you simply don't have the skill, I was taught this for my CSE not even 'O' level standard, clearly not rocket science, and my worry is if your really asking such a basic question what is the chance you will get it right?

What a condescending response.

Professional in all forms of welding & fabrication, IT professional for over 25 years and a
professional scuba Instructor. What do you do again that makes you so superior that you
think i can't follow some instruction to connect some wiring to various components?

This is a Forum site. A Forum is a structure to ask questions and get helpful response, not
for small minded individuals to snipe at someone with less experience. How very grown up.
Perhaps you got a CSE in that also.

I'm sure someone on this site will be able to answer my question in a more civil manor.

Eric is correct. A professional scuba instructor is not qualified to connect wiring to various components if he does not understand why. 240volts can kill.

First basic question. Where is your garage CU fed from? Is it from an MCB indoors, if so what size. Is it RCD protected?

Sponsored Links
Eric is correct. A professional scuba instructor is not qualified to connect wiring to various components if he does not understand why. Nor is a welder or IT professional. 240volts can kill.

First basic question. Where is your garage CU fed from? Is it from an MCB indoors, if so what size. Is it RCD protected?

you
think i can't follow some instruction to connect some wiring to various components?

It is not just connecting items together it is also knowing exactly how to make the connections,

An un-trained DIY pseudo electrician installed some lights but they didn't light up. He had not stripped enough insulation and thus the terminal was glamping onto plastic and not the copper.

Thank you for those of you with positive replies (chivers67). It is appreciated. I never mentioned that a professional scuba diver was, or is
qualified to connect anything electrical it was merely to impart that i'm not an idiot.

bernardgreen - During my IT career i installed miles and miles of structured cabling from desktop systems to mainframes so i do indeed know how to strip and connect wiring so it works. I know how to use a DVM, and i know how to make sure a circuit is dead before attempting any work. I hope that answers at least some questions.

The CU was already installed and runs directly from the CU within my house. The CU is of an older type and does not have an RCD but appears to have been run from a 32A circuit breaker to the garage CU. The garage Cu does have an RCD.

Consumer unit is already in place but nothing connected other than the mains in. It has 32, 16 and one 6amp circuit breakers.
6A breakers are normally used for lighting circuits in the UK.

New circuits are unfortunately notifiable to building control, this does get a bit silly sometimes, adding extra lights to an existing circuit would not be notifable (at least in england and wales), but I don't think a breaker with nothing connected to it can reasonably be regarded as a circuit, even if the intent was for it to be used to supply lighting.

Fixed wiring should always contain an earth conductor which should be connected to the earthing system. Even if the currently installed loads do not require an earth connection.

Wiring should be adequately secured such that stress on terminals is unlikely. There are various ways to achieve that. Generally for fixed wiring in the UK we rely on fixing the cables to the building structure, running them inside trunking/conduit etc. For loops of flex connecting to loads, a cord grip or gland of some sort is probably the most appropriate method.

Fixed wiring should also be secured such that premature collapse in the event of a fire is avoided. That generally means if you are running surface cables at high level (across ceilings, above doorways etc) then you should be using a proportion of metal fixings.

Most domestic fixed wiring in the UK is done with Twin and Earth cable. The earth conductor in this should be sleeved with earth sleeving at terminations.

The batten lights have blue and brown fly leads.
You will need to install some sort of suitable junction or outlet box close to the lights, there are various things that could be used, What will look neatest may depend on how exactly the garage is built. Generally I would not consider the "oldschool" round junction boxes, suitable for this application. They have no cable restraint for the flex loops to the lights and they put all the wires for each pole in one big terminal which is not ideal when you have mixed conductor types (e.g. solid cores from fixed wiring cables and stranded cores from the flexible tail on the lights).

A ceiling rose would work fine, though may look a little strange, So would a flex outlet plate mounted on a backbox, so would some of the modern junction boxes with cord grips (though watch out that push-in terminals are generally not suitable for fine stranded wire). What exactly will look neatest will likely depend on the precise situation.

using the switch shown (it is shown viewed from the back).
Switches interrupt the live conductor to lights. Ignore the "2 way" terminal on the switches, that is only relavent when switching the same lights from multiple locations. You can treat the "Com" and "1 way" terminals as a simple on-off switch. Permanent live goes in one end, switched live comes out the other, it's not rocket surgery.

Broadly speaking there are two main options for wiring layouts. You can take the permanent live and neutral from the supply to the switch, then join the neutral in the switch and take the permanent live and neutral from the switch(es) to the lights.

Or you can bring the permanent live and neutral to the lights (or in your case, the outlet box near the lights), then take a "switch drop" which carries permanent live down to the switch and brings switched live back up. You can get special "twin brown" cable for this, but the more normal approach is to use normal cable, with the brown conductor used for permanent live and the blue for switched live.

You can join wires in an electrical box using oldschool terminal block or one of the newfangled push in or lever connectors. Though as-above be aware though that push-in connectors are generally not suitable for fine stranded wire.

I would also like to install an additional two LED batten lights and would like to know the best method to do this. Run them from a separate circuit breaker, or could they be linked together using the same type of switch?
No reason you can't run four lights from the same breaker.

upload_2022-3-29_4-29-45.png
OK this is the normal method, the lamp is used as a junction box, and only the permanent line and switched line go to and from the switch, with of course the earths, not shown for charity, the advantage with this method is with a permanent line at lamp easy to power an emergency lamp or ceiling fan, however taking power to switches first allows the use of electronic switches which need a neutral.

As with most items no job is complete until the paper work is done. So you need to complete an installation certificate which are a free download from the IET website complete with guidance on how to complete them.

The installation certificate acts as a check list, ensuring done safely.

The maximum MCB/RCBO size normally used for lighting is 16 amp, as this is the limit for some bulb types, but the standard ceiling rose is rated 6 amp so normally a 6 amp MCB/RCBO is used.

In the UK we do not normally use IT normally we use TT or TN, why you would want to use IT unsure, we use it for shaver sockets in a bathroom, but not seen it used elsewhere in domestic installations.

Note
BS 7671 said:
IT system. A system having no direct connection between live parts and Earth, the exposed-conductive- parts of the electrical installation being earthed (see Figure 2.6).

The CU was already installed and runs directly from the CU within my house. The CU is of an older type and does not have an RCD but appears to have been run from a 32A circuit breaker to the garage CU. The garage Cu does have an RCD.
So you have a 32a MCB (in the house) feeding another CU containing a 32,16, and 6 MCB. This is clearly wrong. No discrimination between the two 32 a MCBs.

In the UK we do not normally use IT normally we use TT or TN, why you would want to use IT unsure, we use it for shaver sockets in a bathroom, but not seen it used elsewhere in domestic installations.
Two letter acronyms are nearly always ambiguous. BS7671 does not define the English language.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back