PeNdants to LED Battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been lumbered with a problem to sort out by family.

Kitchen has 2 peNdants. They are on one circuit so they both come on together.

My sister wants to replace them with an LED batten. Problem is the pedants are around 8ft apart and most easily available battens come at 6ft.

It may be possible to get an 8ft pedant from an electrical wholesaler but I doubt they will keep them in stock and I need to get it first thing on Monday.

I was thinking therefore may it would be easier to get two 4ft battens and fit them next to each other. This will mean both holes are covered and also the wires will then be available for each batten.

Is there any reason why this won't work? I figure the battens would just work exactly like the pedants.

I presume if we just had one batten the electrical joints for the other could be made secure and left in the ceiling space?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Been lumbered with a problem to sort out by family.

Kitchen has 2 pedants. They are on one circuit so they both come on together.

My sister wants to replace them with an LED batten. Problem is the pedants are around 8ft apart and most easily available battens come at 6ft.

It may be possible to get an 8ft pedant from an electrical wholesaler but I doubt they will keep them in stock and I need to get it first thing on Monday.

I was thinking therefore may it would be easier to get two 4ft battens and fit them next to each other. This will mean both holes are covered and also the wires will then be available for each batten.

Is there any reason why this won't work? I figure the battens would just work exactly like the pedants.

I presume if we just had one batten the electrical joints for the other could be made secure and left in the ceiling space?

Trying not to laugh

Electrically you could use 2 4' battens, link them together, terminate the spare cable in a box and stuff it up in the void. Or 1 6' batten and do the same. As long as the battens are 240v (not using a wall wart supply) and as long as your supply cables have an earth (not needed if the battens are Class 2) then it'll be fine.

Aesthetically battens will light the room very differently to pendants- you'll get a lot more light on the ceiling and walls. If the battens don't have diffusers then you can get irritating effects from shadowing. If she is dead set on it then I'd suggest getting the battens and wire them temporarily so she can have a look at the effect before committing to them (hold them to the ceiling with a broomstick or something while she samples the look and feel. Might be a pain cos you really want to do it at night as well)

Sponsored Links
Two round surface led lights may look neater and supplied off the shelf, your unlikely to get an 8ft, its hard enough getting a 6ft

... very differently to pendants- you'll get a lot more light on the ceiling ...

Would've expected it the other way, a pendant can throw light up as well as other directions, a batten doesn't do that. Ceiling likely to be darker.

er ... unless that's what you meant to say o_O

continued abuse removed
continued abuse removed

Would've expected it the other way, a pendant can throw light up as well as other directions, a batten doesn't do that. Ceiling likely to be darker.

er ... unless that's what you meant to say o_O
Oops- yes you're quire right, LED stuff is far more directional than tungsten or fluorescent- def try it out before nailing it to the ceiling

Thanks, what I might do is suggest rather than having them connected they turn the the other way so they are parallel - that may work better for this particular kitchen as the light will reach both sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back