LED bulb goes on and off (but doesn't flicker)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I hope somebody here can explain a little oddity I'm experiencing.

I bought a pack of 2 Duracell '40W equivalent' LED light bulbs yesterday with the bayonet fitting as I'm moving my flat over to entirely LED lighting, and they were only £5 for two in ASDA.

I have replaced the ugly 'energy saving' (CFC) bulbs in my living room and bedroom with the LED ones. No problem in the living room, but in the bedroom the light goes on and off, intermittently.

Most of the time the light is on solidly, it doesn't flicker or buzz, and I can sit here on my laptop doing some work. Then after maybe half an hour the light will suddenly dim - it doesn't go completely out but dims to about 5% of its original brightness. It stays like that for about 30 seconds, then comes back on again to full brightness for half an hour or so.

I have a standard on/off light switch on the wall, not a dimmer in sight. Any ideas what's going on?

Sponsored Links
Swap the 2 lamps over and see if the iffy lamp works or not in the other room.

Forgot to mention, I did try that - seems to work fine in the other room.

I noticed in the living room the light comes on as soon as I flick the switch. In the bedroom (where the 'faulty' light is) it takes a split second to come on when I throw the switch. Also if I press the light switch half way and rock it there (like you would make an incandescent flicker) the LED bulb seems to respond like it's on a dimmer and elegantly fades out. I'm so confused.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back