LED bulbs failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I replaced the 50w spotlights in my kitchen with GU10 LED 3.5 w bulbs. At first they were brilliant but they soon seemed to fail with a mark in the centre of the bulb like a scorch mark.

I think there is a transformer in the loft for the kitchen spots and I thought it could be something to do with that, but the separate light in the centre of the kitchen had the same result.
Both sets of lights in the kitchen are wired to dimmer switches and although they didn't "dim"
the bulbs as they were non dimmable they didn't make the 50w bulbs fail.

I'm wondering if the switches could be the problem with the LED bulbs.

I have replaced all the spots in my shower room with the same LED bulbs and these are fine but there are no dimmer switches in there. Could this be the problem??

I'd appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi, if the lamps are GU10 there will be no transformers fitted as they operate on 230v.
If the lamps are on a dimmer switch and are not dimmable , that's not going to help the dimmer or the lamps !

There are some very cheap and nasty lamps out there, what brand are they.

Regards,

DS

Thanks for the reply. The lamps are marked CE RoHS and were from JSG accessories. Model 24SMD3535...WW.
I have used them in my shower room for about 4 months and they are really good. (same brightness as the 50w they replaced)

As you have mentioned the dimmer switches are probably the problem so I shall get them changed. I don't need them in the kitchen anyway.
I've put the 50w lamps back in the kitchen for now but as there are 9 of them, they are quite hefty on the consumption.

Thanks again
Kind regards

Jean B

Sponsored Links
The LED chip needs around 3V to 3.4V and a fixed current 700 mA for the 3W type. There are many ways to reduce 230 Vac into 3 Vdc and to limit the current. However when we buy the package we have no idea what method has been used. It could be a complex PWM chip or a simple capacitor.

Changing the wave form may cause a PWM chip to not work as expected. I would think that is what has happened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back