LED Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 12 MR16 50W dowlights in my kitchen and I'm looking to replace them with LED lamps instead.

My budget is £25 a lamp. Each lamp has its own transformer at present so I guess I need to replace the fitting as well as the bulbs.

I see that there is a 'new' technology out there which is Chip on Board just to add to the general confusion. I also understand that you're better off replacing the fitting with a LED specific fitting than trying to retrofit some of higher power replacement bulbs into the existing fittings due to thermal management.

So with this in mind, can anyone recommend me a downlight that is as close as possible to halogen performance?

I'm happy enough with the concept of downlights, and don't intend to replaster the ceiling so no need for suggestions to replace downlights with another form of lighting.

Sponsored Links
That's a great price for halers! I think I paid £40 a fitting for the last lot I bought.

They are a great fitting. Good build quality and the light output really isn't far off at all what you get from a 50W elv halogen down lighter.

They pay for them selves really quickly in saved electricity and relamping costs.

Sponsored Links
Good build quality and the light output really isn't far off at all what you get from a 50W elv halogen down lighter.
You still need loads of them to light a room though, which shows that you should not be using them to light rooms.

I am too a big fan of Aurora, fitted 6 of their 14w square fittings to replace 6x70W CDMT fittings the other day, and they are as bright, if not brighter.

The build quality and light output is second to none.

Having said that I did fit some of their GU10 LED lamps recently, and they had a weird half second startup delay when switched on, and had a bit of a pink hue, but their dedicated LED fittings are great

Good build quality and the light output really isn't far off at all what you get from a 50W elv halogen down lighter.
You still need loads of them to light a room though, which shows that you should not be using them to light rooms.

No it doesn't.

Football stadiums use lots of individual lights to evenly light the pitch.

My apologies - I hadn't realised that his kitchen was the size of a football stadium.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back