LED drivers...

Sponsored Links
Are you 100% certain that the LED lamps and the drivers match.

There are two methods of driving LED lamps. Constant voltage and constant current. And both need the driver to be using the same method.

In a constant currrent set up the lamps are connected in series and the driver sets the current through them.

In a constant voltage set up the lamps are connected in parallel and the driver sets the voltage applied to them.

Putting a constant voltage driver to a constant current lamp could destroy the lamp as the lamp requires the driver to control the current that flows through the lamp.

EDIT ; flame port beat me to it. the number of lamps is limited by the maximum voltage the driver can make before the current control fails to operate properly as each lamp has a voltage Vd across it If there are 10 lamps then the drivers maximum possible output voltage must be greater than 10 times Vd.

Are you 100% certain that the LED lamps and the drivers match.

I asked for drivers specifically for these lamps... Was thinking I could hopefully double-up (i.e. two LEDs per driver) as the drivers are a tenner each, but I was told that each LED needed it's own eaglerise thingy. With regard to constant current/constant volts, its probably me getting my words muddled.

We also tested a LED (to see how bright it wasn't) by wiring the LED via the driver to some flex with a 3a fuse in the plug. Worked fine but not very bright, hence we need 8 of the little sods in a 2.5m x 1.5m room!

Using the daisy-chained 240 supply I should be OK on this occasion, but the single driver for next time seems to make a lot more sense (and it's cheaper!)

You must be very rich to spend over £400 for a set of lights like this. :eek:
Just beware that to fit these lights in a bathroom will require RCD protection on the circuit and notification to the Local Authorities Building Control under Part P of the Building Regulations before you begin your work.
There may also be issues regarding insulation and fire protection elements of the Building Regulations to consider.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back