LED flood lights glowing when off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just swapped 2 old halogen flood lights for LED ones. Once it was dark i tested them and noticed that when they are turned off they glow very faintly. They are wired into a separate PIR mounted approximately 1m from the light and they are also have a switch inside the house that can be used to manually override them On.

I was going to check inside the fitting in the daylight tomorrow to see it there is any voltage between the neutral and the switch live from the PIR and switch, if there is this might be a problem with my existing installation, if not the fault may be with the LED fitting itself. Just wondering if anyone else has come across similar?

Sponsored Links
Capacitive coupling from Live wire to Switched Live wire allows a small amount of power to reach the lamp when the switch is OFF. Not enough power for an incandescent lamp to light up but more than enough to cause an LED lamp to glow.

Capacitor 0.047uF micro Farads 250 volts AC in series with Resistor 100 ohms connected across the lamp will absorb this capacitive coupled power.

Which come pre-packaged as a contact suppressor from RS Components

RS Stock No. 206-7847
Manufacturer Evox-Rifa
Manufacturers Part No. PMR209MB5470M100

There are other sources

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back