LED GRID DIMMERS UPDATE AND HELP

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted earlier asking if anyone new of a grid system LED Dimmer. Thanks to those that tried to help.
An update

MK dont do a grid dimmer for LED yet.
Crabtree say their dimmers will work with LED even though the catalogue says 40-250w or 400w so a possibility.
Richmonds' will only guarantee their dimmer (great idea to package multi collars) with LED lights they have tested. I have no idea who made mine. I got them from LEDhut and their gumph says they try to supply from brands like Philips. But an awful lot of ifs and try's there.

So no luck really so far

Question if i kept the toroidal dimmers that are already in place rated 40-250w and put in the LEDS what damage would i do if i a) tried to dim the set up. I am guessing nothing would happen then they would just go off. B) Kept one 50w halogen in place but put the rest as LED,s.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I dimmed 4x7w dimmable Philips Master LED with a 40w dimmer and it caused a strobe effect, i never did try with 1 halogen though

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
I think you just have to go for it. I would trust the Richmond dimmer. You say you have a VPro mod already in place so give that a go too. I have had excellent results with the VPro trailing edge dimmer with a couple of different types of LED lamps & tape, not sure if it's the same one already in the grid you have.

No one seems to know what works with what yet so trial and error it is!

Thorn say that their Base LED and Base LED Junior lights can be dimmed using standard trailing edge dimmers.

As ever, the root of your problem is trying to use something which is not a cohesively designed lighting product, but is a compromise item designed to plug into a luminaire originally meant to take a different type of lamp.

Exactly the same sort of problem afflicts people trying to dim replacement CFLs with integral ballasts rather than installing properly designed lights with 1-10V or 0-10V dimmable control gear.

Sponsored Links
Thorn say that their Base LED and Base LED Junior lights can be dimmed using standard trailing edge dimmers.

As ever, the root of your problem is trying to use something which is not a cohesively designed lighting product, but is a compromise item designed to plug into a luminaire originally meant to take a different type of lamp.

Exactly the same sort of problem afflicts people trying to dim replacement CFLs with integral ballasts rather than installing properly designed lights with 1-10V or 0-10V dimmable control gear.

Yes agreed. I had hoped that the manufacturers of the grid dimmers had caught up with what appears to be a growing market demand.

As others have said i will do a bit of trial and error. Just hope i dont blow too many (ie more than 0) £7 + lamp in the trials :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back