LED kitchen cabinet lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,could anyone tell me if splitting a 5m roll of 5050 rgb led lights into various different lengths connected with possibly up to 5m of additional cable (10m o/all) is feasible? Would the voltage drop at the ends of the runs,( I was thinking of two runs in parallel?) be significant enough that I would see a noticeable difference in the brightness of the lights at the ends? If so, is there a way to alleviate this and what size cable would be required to connect the LEDs?

Thanks for reading

Jason

Sponsored Links
When we but these products we really have no idea of what method is used to give each LED the current required. With some it's a simple resistor with others is a switch mode regulator chip.

With resistors then there will likely be some volt drop so setting out in a circle you may notice some difference between last and first LED. With switch mode regulator there would be no difference.

Since we have no idea of the internal wiring size we could not work out volt drop, but in real terms it is very unlikely to be a problem.

Hi all,could anyone tell me if splitting a 5m roll of 5050 rgb led lights into various different lengths connected with possibly up to 5m of additional cable (10m o/all) is feasible?
If you buy a strip which is designed to be cut, yes. It will have the places where you can cut it marked, and you'll be able to buy connectors for it.

Totally feasible, I have done similar in several installations. No noticeable variation in light output.

As for cable, I use Cat5, with each pair as one colour, as it's cheap, readily available and the colours are almost correct for the LEDs (green/blue/orange for the colours, brown for common positive).

There are various substandard clip on connector things for the cables, I do not use those but solder the wires directly to the cut ends, a spot of hot glue over the connection and a wrap of self amalgamating rubber tape to seal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies and the advice. I didn't want to shell out on the gear and spend time doing it to find it's not fit for purpose once I've altered it, or I would need additional kit to make it function correctly. But if this is unlikely it seems worth a go. I've ordered 5m of cuttable 5050 led tape, driver, extension cable and connectors. I'll make up the extension leads and dry fit them first so I can tell.
Thanks again
Jason

Sorry flameport, didn't see your reply before I posted this, i had considered soldering them but when I saw the connectors I thought I'd give them a go first. Your experience of this method working well is even more encouraging.
Thanks
Jason

Not quite sure why you'd want RGB under cabinet lighting, but that's besides the point :LOL:

I fit loads of white or warm white LED tape. I get it for a couple of quid off ebay, solder the wires on, cut the tape to whatever length is required and fit a decent driver to power it all.

Never had an issue, apart from with making sure the tape stays stuck to the cabinet, especially if it's not a new kitchen and the cabinets are a bit greasy. Silicone is your friend in that instance ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back