Led lighting in the bathroom and defusers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
FF11C65B-4F44-4660-B5D1-1964452540E2.jpeg
61A02F52-02EB-4572-9620-0BEF7F3701B9.jpeg
Hi

I would like to copy the same LED strip lighting effect on my bathroom tiles before we start tiling our bathrooms.

could I pls get some advice as to what is needed to get the desired effect?

1. what type of LED strip (this one had a dotted effected which was quite visible and I didn’t like. I want a single line effect).

2. the stop thingy in between the tiles, is that called a defuser? If so which one should I go for and what size (10mm?).

Anything else to keep in mind? Cool light or soft light. Type and size of transformer?

Sponsored Links
Can’t help with the lighting! My only comment is that bathroom features a double 13A socket on the wall. This is not allowed!

u58,
You are looking for "LED strip Diffusers".
Aluminum U channels that take a LED strip.
Have a look at these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...fusers.TRS0&_nkw=led+strip+diffusers&_sacat=0
The width depends on the width of teh LED strip you are looking for.

Remember that you also need somewhere safe and dry to hide the 240Vac to 12Vdc converter. You need a high quality (not an ebay knock off) and a relatively high Wattage version. The LED strips require about 5W for each meter length, so a 3m x 3m room will require 3+3+3+3 x 5W = 60W + a bit a safety so say a 100W converter.

Almost all LED strips have dots. The diffusers helps minimise this.

Suggest that the LED strips you look at are 'waterproof' as this will minimise condensation causing corrosion to the tracks and damaging the LEDs.

SFK

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Consider what will have to be done when the LEDs need replacing. Maybe the tiles will have to be remove to access and replace the LED strips.

It looks good but may be impractical in a home. The photo appears to have been taken in a show room where there are exposed ventilation ducts.

upload_2020-7-29_8-37-57.png

Sponsored Links
All LED strips have point sources of light. The diffusers spread the intensity but there's a tradeoff in terms of brightness vs spread (the more diffusion the dimmer the result).
Drivers- whatever you buy make sure the system is wired so they are easily accessible for replacement. Likewise the LED strips themselves- nothing lasts forever.

Can’t help with the lighting! My only comment is that bathroom features a double 13A socket on the wall. This is not allowed!

That is a show room display :)

That said, I'm creating a laundry room on my first floor. It will have a sink and toilet in the corner and on the opposite wall a socket for my ironing board etc. Is that going to be an issue? There will be no bathtub and no shower. In the same room will be a sectioned off washing machine and dryer.

...and can do all the wiring from the otherside of the showroom display.

am I allowed to have double sockets given the setup I have described for this first floor laundry room with toilet and basin?

Attachments

• EB7BB942-8D8E-442B-B24B-0DD50FCA09BB.jpeg
    EB7BB942-8D8E-442B-B24B-0DD50FCA09BB.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 363
  • 33D5083E-9CB2-4495-89B2-F0E0A9CB4227.jpeg
    33D5083E-9CB2-4495-89B2-F0E0A9CB4227.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 351
  • C7C6DB6E-34AD-4DD8-9DEE-FB2BF0DB152B.jpeg
    C7C6DB6E-34AD-4DD8-9DEE-FB2BF0DB152B.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Just search google for led strip channel. It will bring up lots of examples. Basically it’s just an aluminium extrusion which you attach to the wall as you are tiling, and when you’re all done, the led strip can be installed and the plastic diffuser strip clipped into place.

Also standard switches not pullcord inside bathroom, even better metal as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back