LED on 220 VDC

Being electricians we are no strangers to the odd electric shock now and then, so for fun we decided to see what sort of current could be handled comfortably
:LOL:

This is my favorite bit of the site so far

Sponsored Links
ok here is what immediately springs to mind:

1: if your supply is AC then you need to protect the LED from reverse voltage or you will fry it. this can be done by putting either a diode or another LED in inverse paralell.

2: calculate the series resistor based on the desired current. Remeber if its AC there will be a 50% duty cycle so you can probablly go a bit higher than the LEDs normal rating

3: if you use a resistor then most of the power will be wasted in the resistor and it will need to be specced to stand this.

4:the capacitor idea may well work but the reverse protection would still be needed.

5:you wan't to give some thought to insulation, I wouldn't trust a standard LED package to protect a person from mains contact.

6: consider using a neon indicator instead!

buy a mains rated led from RS Components far safer for the novice.

Sponsored Links
Wow, excellent site!
:D :D :D
I don't know why, but I really like the look of this:
hamster4.jpg

I want one!

(But I don't think my lounge is big enough for 900w, and you can't dim energy-savers! :cry: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back