LED Spot light Meltdown!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed one 12v LED lamp (purchased from Ebay) into a recessed MR16 fitting and used a Halolite constant voltage LED driver to power it. It is just going to be used as a night light in the kids room.

However, I installed the lamp and it worked fine, I came back 20mins later to check it and found a bulid of what looked like molton glue building up behind the glass lense covering the LED bulb's. I switched it off and took the bulb out which was HOT. I thought the bulb may be faulty so change for a new bulb but the same thing happend again.

When I put a volt meter on the driver it reports 12v but gradually builds up to 17v + over a few secs. Totally confused. :?: I assume the driver is faulty?? Should I of used the constant current driver instead???

Sponsored Links
Bulb: from ebay, no +ve -ve identification on bulb.

Driver: Halolite constant voltage driver from Screwfix.

As you didn't buy the two as a kit, it's very likely indeed that the melting is not due to a fault of the lamp or the driver, but a mismatch between the two. Whether constant current or voltage, LED lamps (except those that contain internal voltage/current limiting circuitry) must be used with the correct driver as recommended by the manufacturer of the lamp.

If the lamp has a GX5.3 base then it's probably designed to run off 12v.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Perhaps I will go back to screwfix and purchase bulb 92205 which is Halo lights LED bulb then.....??

ElectronicsUK - Can you advise on my other post posted same time as this one :eek:)

Thanks all. Perhaps I will go back to screwfix and purchase bulb 92205 which is Halo lights LED bulb then.....??

Assuming that Screwfix sell that lamp and driver as a matched pair, then that should be fine. However, don't assume that just because the manufacturers are the same, every product they make will be interchangeable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back