LED Strip Light Project - Navigating all the options!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hoping someone can help me choose best product combination for my project - there are so many options to choose from!

In the Sketchup model below so you can see what we are doing in the gym room – see the green LED channels running through our wood wall covering https://app.sketchup.com/share/tc/n...w1q0CnYZMJbl_SI-wl-Nuou1WJ8rsnV7E2&source=web

We want to run LED strip lights in our ceiling to provide primary white lighting for our home gym. We will have 4 - 6 strips running full length of ceiling and down one feature wall. We will set the strips at around 1m spacing. Its a 30 sqm room and aiming for 500LUX minimum, also looking at high density or COB so you don't see LED spots. Each LED strip will be 8 meters long (can use 10m lenghts or 2x4/5m per run with power injection depending on the demand) and each of the strips can be individually powered and have its own controller if needed, providing the controllers can be synced together.

As this is a gym, it would be very nice if we could use an addressable RGBIC system which links with Alexa and syncs with music during workouts (I've seen controllers that use a microphone input, but wondering if there is a smart controller that takes input from Spotify or other music app to react appropriately to music rather than just random changes?)

Whilst it would be good to combine good quality white lighting for normal use and get the addressable RGB for workout lighting in one strip, we could also use dedicated white LED for normal lighting and then another dedicated RGBIC strip for the music sync function.

Has anyone done this and got a experience of a set up that works? Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The biggest problem with LED strips is most need extra low voltage supplies and the unit to provide this is built into the plug. So some where you need 13 amp outlets for them to plug into.

Control is easy, I use voice commands, walk into living room and say hey google turn on living room lights and it replies turning on 6 lights, and I get main chandelier, uplighter, and cabinet lights plus this time of year the Christmas decorations.

I can manually turn on the main lights, but the rest I rely on the Nest Mini's to control, yes there are buttons, but not easy to reach. The controls here 20230227_170703_1.jpgare on top of the display cabinet, I would need a set of steps to manually control.

The biggest problem with LED strips is most need extra low voltage supplies and the unit to provide this is built into the plug. So some where you need 13 amp outlets for them to plug into.

Control is easy, I use voice commands, walk into living room and say hey google turn on living room lights and it replies turning on 6 lights, and I get main chandelier, uplighter, and cabinet lights plus this time of year the Christmas decorations.

I can manually turn on the main lights, but the rest I rely on the Nest Mini's to control, yes there are buttons, but not easy to reach. The controls here View attachment 326594are on top of the display cabinet, I would need a set of steps to manually control.
Thanks Eric - this is the problem I'm having is getting LED strips that are suitable for primary lighting and effect lighting in one (if I want just white this is easy as there are dedicated high LUX output COB/high density strip lights for white)... as mentioned, this is going into a gym so if I want to have effect lighting for a spin or HIIT session I want the lights to turn to RGBIC mode and have dynamic effect... the more I look I start to suspect i'm asking too much for an 'all-in-one' solution, and may put in two systems depending if I want just primary lighting or the music sync/reactive lighting.

Sponsored Links
I'm planning on LED strips around our living room and want something similar (addressable RGB + W). I think I found some on AliExpress when I was looking before, but the project is on hold for a bit. If you find any that work well, please post back here to let us know which ones.

have a look at Led pixel strip, i believe it was used at the olympic dome and you can control each led seperate somehow

I'm planning on LED strips around our living room and want something similar (addressable RGB + W). I think I found some on AliExpress when I was looking before, but the project is on hold for a bit. If you find any that work well, please post back here to let us know which ones.
Right so this is where I am, https://www.btf-lighting.com/ direct supply from China - so loads of options available. Also really helpful on the chat - explain what you want and they will point you in the right direction.

As I am going to be using LED strips to provide the main lighting for the room, I don't want any spotting, so COB lighting makes sense.

If you want
fixed white:

CCT white

RGB

RGBCW/RGBWW/RGNW (CW,WW,NW is the type of white)

or full hog and go for RGBCCT if you want the full range of whites and colour

Then 12V vs 24V - good description here -

Select based on watt demand and voltage for longer runs you will probably need a dedicated supply per length

Next is your controller - millions of options depending on what set up you have - i will be going for this as it seems to do everything plus remote can be used if WiFi is down:

The only thing i'm waiting to hear back on is how to signal split - i.e. if I want 5 LED strips in parallel, can I split the signal from the controller or do I need 5 x controllers which are synced together... will keep you posted

have a look at Led pixel strip, i believe it was used at the olympic dome and you can control each led seperate somehow
Yes been looking at them too - very cool effects but from what I have been reading, if the LEDs are on show you will get 'spotting' unless you have >120 inside a deep diffuser - 144LED/m strips are very expensive and you will also need to inject power a lot more regularly

The COB lighting does similar effect but each 'segment' is xxx LEDS - so its not quite as 'pixelated' as the pixel strips, but should give a similar effect.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back