LED strip lights connecting to main circuit

Sponsored Links
Just get one of these, a roll of this and if you're no good at soldering, some of these (the tape comes with one already on and one spare) then just cut the end off, and connect to your transformer. It's very small dia cable, so be careful stripping and double back and it works fine.

Just get one of these, a roll of this and if you're no good at soldering, some of these (the tape comes with one already on and one spare) then just cut the end off, and connect to your transformer. It's very small dia cable, so be careful stripping and double back and it works fine.

It is not a transformer. It is a constant voltage DC power supply. Transformers are AC devices and not suitable.

Sponsored Links
It is not a transformer. It is a constant voltage DC power supply. Transformers are AC devices and not suitable.
Semantics. It really does not matter what I refer to it as. I linked to the correct item, and if you want to refer to it each and every time you type it or say it as a 'constant voltage DC power supply', knock yourself out.

Semantics. It really does not matter what I refer to it as. I linked to the correct item, and if you want to refer to it each and every time you type it or say it as a 'constant voltage DC power supply', knock yourself out.
I
Not at all. The OP is fairly new here and it is important that correct terms are used. A power supply is not a transformer though it may contain one.

As we are going down this route transformer is a valid metonymy to describe the item in question.

Well it's more than just a figure of speech - not least because the device in question does actually transform voltage.

As we are going down this route transformer is a valid metonymy to describe the item in question.

Rubbish. A transformer transforms AC voltage or current by electromagnetic induction. It does not have to change voltage as in 1:1 isolation types.

The item in question is a DC power supply.

Definition of transformer in English:
noun
apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of an alternating current. Example sentences
  • LED lights require a transformer to turn alternating current to direct current.
  • The circuit keeps interrupting itself in this way, gradually boosting voltage through the transformer.
  • Remember, you can only plug mains voltage lighting into an external socket as low voltage lighting requires a transformer and currently most transformers are not suitable for outside use.

Definition of transformer in English:
noun
apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of an alternating current. Example sentences
  • LED lights require a transformer to turn alternating current to direct current.

WRONG. Transformers do nor always reduce or increase voltage, e.g. 1:1 isolation types.

A transformer does nor turn AC to DC. A rectifier does that Job.

Q: - Can I be bothered to try and goad and poke fun at the idiot known as winston?

A: - No.

You are the idiot if you don't know the difference between a transformer and a rectifier. Personally I believe you do know and are just being bloody minded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back