LED tape connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a 5M roll of OSRAM VF600-G3-827-05 a year ago, and have finally got around to using it!

I need to use it in 2 sections, each with its own driver. The roll comes with a connector to 2 wires on one end. Obviously, having cut it at the appropriate position, to use the second section I need another connector.

I know that this should be really simple, but I am slightly confused. All of the listings I see list 2 core in 8 or 10mm, and 4 core in 10mm for RGB.

My tape is 8mm wide, has 4 cores (?) and is white light only. Am I wrong assuming that "core" in this context is the metal (brass?) strips that push into a connector, or is it the leads that go to the driver - or am I completely wrong.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
On the connector you have, can you see where the 2 wires go?

Do you have and can you use a soldering iron?

I have been trying to upload some photos. but struggling.

On the driver and tape that i have fitted, I now see that there are TWO brass strips at the end if the tape, to which the leads connect. I had not noticed that, so thanks. Along the length of the tape there are 4 smaller strips, not the 2 slightly bigger ones.

However, I have unrolled the remainder of the tape, and there are 2 strips at the other end as well, so presumably that is the the 2 pins to which the websites refer?

Does that mean that I could not use one length cut into 3? That is not important in this case, but my daughter wants me to build some understairs cupboards, so it is likely to come up later.

I do have a soldering iron, and can use it - although it has been many years. I am not entirely confident that I would do it first time without damaging the tape, and I would not have a second chance. therefore I will just use a connector, if I can identify the correct one to order.

To summarise, am i right in now thinking that I need a an 8mm/2 pin connector?

Thanks for the help, it really is appreciated.

The cut marks are only every so many leds, you will see the scissor symbol, thats were you cut, white tape will have Two brass flats there, and you cut down that, as you know you need two wire connecters, 8mm and 10 mm spaced different.

Bare in mind theres two types of tape, waterproof with a plastic cover and Non waterproof bare leds

I like the Hippo ones but they dont always come with the wire, so check description

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-WIRE-TO-STRIP-CONNECTOR-CLIP-ADAPTER-FOR-8-10-12MM-2-4-5-PINS-TAPE-5050-3528/223950127447?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=225076&meid=7c2304f1b3f247068bcd8da90dc44430&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=324180775232&itm=223950127447&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've never used the connectors as the first strips I purchased came with soldered tails and I've never bothered trying connectors to avoid the bulk. I find they do solder very nicely and quickly.
From a PDF on OSRAMS website:
upload_2020-9-26_17-36-36.png

Have a little practice with your soldering iron. Or if you are currently a fire fighter take it into work, one of your colleagues is bound to be confident.

The cut marks are only every so many leds, you will see the scissor symbol, thats were you cut, white tape will have Two brass flats there, and you cut down that, as you know you need two wire connecters, 8mm and 10 mm spaced different.

Bare in mind theres two types of tape, waterproof with a plastic cover and Non waterproof bare leds

I like the Hippo ones but they dont always come with the wire, so check description

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-WIRE-TO-STRIP-CONNECTOR-CLIP-ADAPTER-FOR-8-10-12MM-2-4-5-PINS-TAPE-5050-3528/223950127447?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=225076&meid=7c2304f1b3f247068bcd8da90dc44430&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=324180775232&itm=223950127447&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

That is what I think is odd, and what confused me. I have just checked again, and there ARE cit marks, which I used for the first section, but there are definitely FOUR flats at all of those points - but TWO at each end of the roll.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I've never used the connectors as the first strips I purchased came with soldered tails and I've never bothered trying connectors to avoid the bulk. I find they do solder very nicely and quickly.
From a PDF on OSRAMS website:
View attachment 206013
Have a little practice with your soldering iron. Or if you are currently a fire fighter take it into work, one of your colleagues is bound to be confident.

I am not a firefighter, but you have talked me into having a go.

Osram do a special connector, at about 3x the normal price plus P&P, so maybe they fir the four flats?

If I do the stuff for my daughter, I will be a little more aware, so thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back