LEDlite puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new floor lamp with an E27 lamp socket. Fitted a 6w LEDlite and all fine for two weeks or so. Then, on switching on with the foot switch, there was a momentary flash, then nothing. This occurred each time so nit a burn out. I thought it was the switch but turned out to be the lamp. A new LEDlite fixed this but the old lamp still worked in another table lamp.
Any idea why the lamp would be happy in one socket and not in another? Note that a new lamp works in the old socket, at least initially - only changed the lamp yesterday. Is there a time element here?

Sponsored Links
It is possible that the inrush current is damaging the switch, The drivers in some LED lamps use a very basic, almost crude, design which has a very high inrush current when switched ON

The village Christmas illuminations use 1 Watt LEDs in festoons each with 200 lamps. A 6 Amp fuse blew immediately at switch on of a festoon.

200 lamps at 4.5mA is a total of 900mA or 0.9 Amp so the fuse should not be blowing.

Inrush current was enough to blow the fuse, Manufacturer's technical department quote the inrush current as 33mA per lamp ( 6.6 Amps ) but also said it could be as high as 10 times normal currrent. ( 45mA per lamp a total of 9 Amps for the 200 lamps ).

It is possible that the inrush current is damaging the switch, The drivers in some LED lamps use a very basic, almost crude, design which has a very high inrush current when switched ON

My first action was to change the foot switch, as it was pretty cheap looking; changed for a more expensive one that still looks and feels cheap. When that didn’t work, I changed the lamp. But the old lamp still works perfectly in another table lamp, even though it just flashes in the floor/standard lamp. I wondered if the E27 socket wasn’t making proper contact - but then why does the new lamp work OK?
Is a puzzlement!
And these are LEDlite lamps, not eBay jobbies. I did see another post about troubles “with LEDlite lamps from TLC” but not sure what TLC had to do with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back