is this lamp dangerous?

Back to OP.."Is the bulb safe to use?" Yes, it is probably OK, but if not it will immediately trip the MCB with a dead short(very unlikely) or simply not work. Obviously you will unplug the lamp this time :). However, this still leaves unresolved the flash and possible shock. You'll need to check that the pins in the socket are not loose and the insulation inside is not broken.

Sponsored Links
thanks. lots of banter (that I cannot follow) in the last couple of days.
it was most definitely a strong electric shock I got and the blue 'spark' arced from round about where the pins are to my hand. my whole arm went tingly for a short while. although I don't see anything out place it doesn't sound good. could a profesional take some kind of 'reading' to test the integrity of the lamp (I'm loathe to throw it away unless it is dangerous of course).

to me it was!

So back to my original question - is it safe or should it be tested professionally? Or, if it still 'works' - which I know it does - does that mean it was just a freak accident?

Sponsored Links
It most definitely was not, or your family would now be making funeral arrangements.
Not necesarily, severe shocks can result severe deep burns, torn tendon and damaged muscle that have gone into spasm and even broken or dislocated bones. Death only happens if the shock traverves the heart or brain. And then not always, delayed death is possible when toxins from decaying flesh in deep burns causes kidney failure.

Blue flashs do not accure if the shock current is via a part of the human body. The impedance is too high to allow that much current to flow at 230 volts, it just looks like the arc between two bit of metal is going into the flesh. If you did have that much current the voltage would need to be a few kilovolts ( lightning strike ) and the points of contact with the body would have been visibly burnt.

Blue flashs do not accure if the shock current is via a part of the human body. The impedance is too high to allow that much current to flow at 230 volts, it just looks like the arc between two bit of metal is going into the flesh. If you did have that much current the voltage would need to be a few kilovolts ( lightning strike ) and the points of contact with the body would have been visibly burnt.
It most definitely was not (a strong electric shock you got)

Anyway - this is not helping the OP.

So back to my original question - is it safe or should it be tested professionally?
Rather than spend money doing that, why not spend a lot less money just replacing the lampholder and the flex, then you'll know that there's nothing dodgy about them. Cost you a few quid.

So back to my original question - is it safe or should it be tested professionally?
Rather than spend money doing that, why not spend a lot less money just replacing the lampholder and the flex, then you'll know that there's nothing dodgy about them. Cost you a few quid.[/quote]

probably the best thing to do, yes, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back