LEDs flash very so often

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced a load of 50watt halogen GU10's with 5watt LED GU10's. In one area (where there's 6 bulbs) on of the bulbs flashes once (very quick flash) ever 30-60seconds. When I remove the bulb it passes to another one if the bulbs and I remove this it moves to the next. Any ideas?

I've heard you can buy something to fit this circuit (behind the spot light of one) that will stop it. Does this sound right? What would you do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if you leave one halogen fitted, it will drain away the voltage and prevent flickering.

There are more difficult ways of achieving the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Actually this is a 3-way switched light so is that why it's playing up?
So where would you suggest wiring suppressor? Will I need go pull down a light fitting it can it be done inside the light switch etc?
Thanks.

Actually this is a 3-way switched light so is that why it's playing up?
Not specifically- it can happen with the simplest of switching.
So where would you suggest wiring suppressor? Will I need go pull down a light fitting it can it be done inside the light switch etc?
It needs to be connected between the (switched) live going to the lamps and neutral. The switched live will be available at the switch but, unless you're lucky, neutral probably won't be (look for two blue or two black wires connected together in a little block behind the switch). If no neutral is available at the switch, you'll probably have little choice but to connected it within a light fitting.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John. When you say within a light fitting do you mean remove the light fitting from the ceiling and solder it at that point?
Thanks

Thanks John. When you say within a light fitting do you mean remove the light fitting from the ceiling and solder it at that point?
There shouldn't be any soldering necessary. Find the place where the incoming cable connects to the fitting - often in some sort of terminal block (with wires secured by screws) and simply connect the suppressor to the live and neutral of those connections, along with whatever conductors/wires are already there (i.e. putting suppressor wires into same terminal holes as existing L and N conductors/wires). Is that (rather messy description!) clear?

Kind Regards, John

Perfect, thanks John! So in other words, the suppressor joins the live and neutral together (obviously it's more technical than that buts in simple terms that's what it does)?

I guess another way to do it (if I cant get to the joining block) would be to lift the cap where the cable enters the lamp and add it there? Or if there's no room at that point I could cut the cable and put it into a wago box and use a multiple wago connector to wire in the suppressor? :)

Perfect, thanks John! So in other words, the suppressor joins the live and neutral together (obviously it's more technical than that buts in simple terms that's what it does)?
It would probably sound less alarming if you said that the suppressor "goes between" the (switched) live and neutral (rather than "join them", which would result in a big bang when the light was switched on :) ) - but, yes!
I guess another way to do it (if I cant get to the joining block) would be to lift the cap where the cable enters the lamp and add it there? Or if there's no room at that point I could cut the cable and put it into a wago box and use a multiple wago connector to wire in the suppressor? :)
You are making it sound more difficult/complicated than it ought to be. Is there any chance of photos of the connections to one of the light fittngs?

Kind Regards, John

Brilliant. Thanks for bearing with me John. Thought I'd ask the questions before bulldozing my way through it and wishing I'd have asked first.

Ok so here is my light switch:

28tg9i1.jpg

Here is the light fitting

30ivyoh.jpg

Here is inside the casing

35byvbp.jpg

And here is the part I've bought from maplin

2lwvuhh.jpg

I'm assuming I can add the suppressor somewhere that is shown? Thanks again for you help and input,

Brilliant. Thanks for bearing with me John. Thought I'd ask the questions before bulldozing my way through it and wishing I'd have asked first. ... Ok so Here is inside the casing ... And here is the part I've bought from maplin ... I'm assuming I can add the suppressor somewhere that is shown? Thanks again for you help and input,
Assuming there is enough space, you could connect your suppressor (together with the existing wires) to those brown and blue wires going to the lamp. You'll need to put little bits of sleeving over the leads of the suppressor, so that they are not just bare wire.

Kind Regards, John

John you are a star! Thanks! Job done and works a treat. So what is that little maplin thing doing? Stopping some of the current passing so it doesn't allow enough to build up to flash the LED light?

Thanks again mate... really appreciated your help.

John you are a star! Thanks! Job done and works a treat. So what is that little maplin thing doing? Stopping some of the current passing so it doesn't allow enough to build up to flash the LED light? Thanks again mate... really appreciated your help.
You're welcome. The 'capacitive coupling' between cables which bernard mentioned results in a tiny current flowing - far too little to produce any light with an old-fashioned filament lamp/bulb, but sometimes enough to make LEDs or energy-saving lamps produce a little light. There's not really any practical way of stopping that tiny current flowing but, with what you've installed, it's now nearly all flowing through the 'little maplin thing' rather than the LEDs - hence no light/flickering!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back