LED's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys & girls, I need some advice. I need to put some flexible strip LEDs in a cupboard.

I need them to light up when the cupboard door is opened.

The LEDs are powered by a 12 volt 5Amp AC/DC Adapter.

Input 100-240 Volts 50/60 Hz 1.6 Amps
Output 12 Volts 5 Amps

Is it a bad idea to

1. Have the adapter permanently hard wired into the mains and have the switch on the output side of the adapter so the lights come on when the door is opened?

Or

2. Should I put the switch on the input side of the adapter?

If, as I suspect, option 2 would be preferable is there a fridge door like pressure switch you can recommend to handle the 240 volt feed to the adapter?

Sponsored Links
You’ll get very little useful help or advice here my friend. Most of the replies you’ll get if any will be from electricians telling you you’ll need an electrician!

Switching the 230 volt with one of the door switches such as these

FM142.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...tches_Mini_Index/Switches_Miniture/index.html

There are other suppliers

Naturally it will have to be done safely to BS7671 standards.

Spanish standards do not apply in the UK

Is it a bad idea to ...
1. Have the adapter permanently hard wired into the mains and have the switch on the output side of the adapter so the lights come on when the door is opened? ... Or
2. Should I put the switch on the input side of the adapter?
If, as I suspect, option 2 would be preferable is there a fridge door like pressure switch you can recommend to handle the 240 volt feed to the adapter?
As you surmise, option (2) is probably the way you want to go. There are plenty of 'door switches' around designed for this very job. I'm not in an immediate position to find you any links to suitable products but, if no-one else jumps in, I'll see what I can find later.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You’ll get very little useful help or advice here my friend. Most of the replies you’ll get if any will be from electricians telling you you’ll need an electrician!
That is a very unfair generalisation, and is also factually incorrect. The person in this forum who is easily the most likely to give a "you need an electrician" reply is not an electrician.

Kind Regards, John

Is it a bad idea to .. Have the adapter permanently hard wired into the mains and have the switch on the output side of the adapter so the lights come on when the door is opened?

Or ... Should I put the switch on the input side of the adapter?
Yes and yes.

The switch shown by Bernard is what you need, but mount it as close to the hinged edge of the door as you can possible get it - the spring is surprisingly strong, and you don't need to allow it much leverage for it to push the door open, unless it has a proper latch. If it's just got spring hinges, or a magnetic catch the switch will open it unless it is close to the hinged edge.

You'll need a fused connection unit upstream of the switch as it can only take small cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back