Changing adapter to LED strip lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install under-cabinet LED strip lights in my kitchen and was thinking of getting this kit (5m, warm white, non-waterproof):

The adapter that comes with it however is not suitable for my installation as it's all fused in one piece with the plug, while I need an adapter with a cord that can be unplugged from it as I intend to hardwire it to a switch on the wall - so I thought I could replace that adapter with an equivalent *corded* one.

The specs of the adapter that comes with the kit are as below:

Input Voltage: AC100-240V, 50-60Hz
Output Voltage: DC12V
Adapter Model: DC12V3A
Power: 7.5W/m
Type of Bulb: 5050LED

However the corded adapters I'm finding online only have a higher wattage - 36W instead of 7.5W - while Vs and amps are the same.

Would the 36W adapter be OK to use with that kit? I have been told the lights would still only draw a fraction of the max wattage the adapter can deliver so it should not be a problem, but not being an expert myself I would really like to be extra sure before going ahead.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

is 7.5 Watts per metre so a run of 4.8 metres will require 36 Watts of power from the supply unit

However the corded adapters I'm finding online only have a higher wattage - 36W instead of 7.5W - while Vs and amps are the same.
Your strip takes 7.5W per metre.
At 5m long your strip could take 37.5W.
If you inend to use the full 5m length, I would use a power supply of over 36W, so that it is not working constantly at its limit.
Otherwise, a 36W PSU should be fine.

is 7.5 Watts per metre so a run of 4.8 metres will require 36 Watts of power from the supply unit
I totally missed that... well, as I said... not an expert! Sounds like it will be OK, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Your strip takes 7.5W per metre.
At 5m long your strip could take 37.5W.
If you inend to use the full 5m length, I would use a power supply of over 36W, so that it is not working constantly at its limit.
Otherwise, a 36W PSU should be fine.
Great, that makes total sense, thanks! I'm likely not going to use more than 3-4 meters of LEDs max, so 36W should be fine! I'll make sure to plan the exact lenght of LEDs I'll use before ordering. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back