Power for LED Strip Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I’ve recently upgraded my kitchen island lights to ‘smart’ bulbs, dim/change colour etc these were just screw in bulb nice and easy.

I’d like to upgrade my lights that light up my worktop, they are fixed under the wall cabinets above, 1 on either side of the hob. These are currently mains powered, I can control these from a switch in the wall. They are strip lights and are powered by a ‘figure of 8’. Id like to replace these with an LED strip light or a similar light I can dim/change colour to match the island lights.

Is there an adapter/transform that I can plug into my figure of 8?

Any help would be much appreciated and thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_5621.jpeg
    IMG_5621.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Cut that plug off, and connect the flex directly into the LED driver or light
or if the LED light is supplied with a cable attached, fit a small junction box there to join the two together.

Thank you.

So if the led strip light has a Uk plug on the end I can simply cut this 8 and cut the plug and connect both together? Do I not need a driver?

I have two diffrent strip lights which are colour changing smart. One all is built into the mains dropper, the other has two boxes, one drops the voltage the other controls what lights and how bright.

One has the option of 5 LED colours the other I think 3 but not sure on that.

The 5 are red, green, blue, low temp white and high temp white, if all were powered together it would cause an overload of the power supply.

So the controller, lamps, and volt dropper all needed to match.a driver controls current and in the main they are resistors in the strip, however one needs to buy them as a set.

One of mine from Lidi the strip is very robust, but hard to mount as so stiff. The TCP ones seem frail in comparison but can be positioned far easier. mounted under the counter so you can't see the strip Lidi one works well, but in the display cabinet you can see the LED's so the TCP one looks better.

But as it stands I have three wifi hubs, plus some direct, so Energenie, Zigbee, and TP-Link so best to also consider what else you want, as they may be able to share the hub.

Sponsored Links
So if the led strip light has a Uk plug on the end I
That depends on what the 'plug' is.
If it's just a normal plug with the wires connected, then it can be removed and wired directly.
However if the plug is a transformer, driver or other converting device then it cannot.

Lights intended for permanent installation would not normally be supplied with a plug, unless it's some shabby effort soley aimed at the DIY market.

That depends on what the 'plug' is.
If it's just a normal plug with the wires connected, then it can be removed and wired directly.
However if the plug is a transformer, driver or other converting device then it cannot.

Lights intended for permanent installation would not normally be supplied with a plug, unless it's some shabby effort soley aimed at the DIY market.
Thanks for your reply.

A quick search finds me this product, is this suitable to be cut and wired directly? I’m guessing at this price it probably doesn’t have a driver?

Govee LED Strip Lights 10m, LED Lights for Bedroom, Smart RGB LED WiFi App Control, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant, a strip of 10m LED Lights for TV, Kitchen https://amzn.eu/d/9MIxSFF

No, the plug contains the driver, and outputs 12 volts.
The only way to use that style would be to install a socket on the end of the existing cable and plug the LED power supply into that, but that would be extremely bulky and not something you would want under a cabinet.

Ah I see. This is probably more faff than it’s worth, as you say installing sockets under the counter and plugging something in isn’t going to look great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back