Wiring ceiling light wire to 12V LED strip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my house rewired a couple of years ago and we planned on having a light on the ceiling above the kitchen cabinets. Never got round to fitting one so we just have a wire hanging down from the ceiling that's connected to a light switch on the wall.

Now I'm looking at connecting this to one of those 12V LED strips so there's light along the top of the cabinets. The trouble is all the ones I've seen are connected to power adapters that plug in to a wall socket. So the question is how do I connect this to the ceiling lighting wiring?

Presumably chopping off the plug and connecting it up would be dangerous, so do I just need a 12V adapter?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Now I'm looking at connecting this to one of those 12V LED strips so there's light along the top of the cabinets. The trouble is all the ones I've seen are connected to power adapters that plug in to a wall socket. So the question is how do I connect this to the ceiling lighting wiring?
You can't really.
You could fit a socket to your cable but this is not ideal.

Presumably chopping off the plug and connecting it up would be dangerous,
It would.

so do I just need a 12V adapter?
You already have one. It needs to be plugged in.

Buy some lights that come with a driver which can be connected to the supply by a Fused Connection Unit.

Yes, but note that the link is just to a T8 LED tube. You would need to get a complete T8 fitting as well as the tube.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back