leek under basin bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please can you tell me if this is ok to do i brought an italian vanity unit with a basin and mixer tap with pop up waste . i took out the pop up waste and used a whole new british waste not pop up . under the sink it wont stop dripping is it the wrong waste i put in. its the same mixer tap just a new waste system not pop up. help please. i used plumbers mait. lots of. still wont stop dripping. do i have to use the same as they sent me. it seem to fit is it to do with under the plug do you think it seems to fit. i cant think where the drips comeing from i used a torch to check it. mr purton fed up

Sponsored Links
leeks are not good under vanity units - they go smelly.

Much better to make a soup.

As far as your waste is concerned... Plumbers mait is useless IMHO. The correct washers and some silicone should be all thats required.

Don't overtighten the back nut of indeed the trap's nuts; otherwise Mrs Purton will crush your nuts when she can't use her new vanity basin.

Disassemble everythnig and redo as I have suggested and you'll be fine.

I assume the new waste sits snugly into the whole of the basin? and that you have the correct slotted/unslotted waste depending on the overflow arrangement?

Mr purton, if you go to plumb center,they sell a big rubber washer called a 'basin mate', about a quid, if you put one of these on and follow the instructions that come with it you will not get a leak--or a leek :eek: ,they are chamfered so they fit into the waste opening really well when you tighten them down-none of the ones I have fitted have ever leaked so I always use them on basins, beware, they dont work very well with pop-up waste cos the washer is that big it fouls on the pop-up gear. Hope this helps. Chris

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back