Legend Best 'enters final hours'

I bet if there was a news drought the papers would be very quick to criminalise your mate, and how many of the rest of us would know "but he's a great bloke, don't hate him!"

As you point out, being an alcoholic doesn't make you a bad person. It's a peculiar standard: ruin your own liver but don't ruin your second-chance liver. I would hope that I would never touch another drop should I suffer organ failure and be lucky enough to survive by whatever means.

A mate told me that he knows a guy who has been told he will probably lose his sight if he carries on drinking, yet he carries on and in a big way. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I understand now mate i am sorry didnt mean anything trivial, all i meant was he hadnt gone out and deliberatly harmed someone like a murderer etc---I know that booze can be an evil substance if you cant take it and you look like you had first or second hand experience---again i appologise. :(

Freddie said:
AdamW said:
Freddie said:
Well if you ever get to see his football on the tv watch it cause he was magical and the best.
[/quotes]

Seeing as the Ronnie Barker DVD compilation was out within days of his death, I wouldn't be surprised if the main TV channels already have the footage cued up :rolleyes:

As to being "the drunk who took the liver", of course that is why people "hate" him. I don't have the slightest clue who he played for, nor do I care. I saw a documentary about him and his wife a few years ago, she seemed to be his rock but he threw that away when he carried on drinking. OK, so who knows if anything else had happened between them?

But the fact is, a man with children, a wonderful wife and a second shot at life is an idiot if he throws it all away for a glass of scotch.

If you read about "Dave Smith, ex-docker from Folkestone who received a liver transplant but then carried on drinking", you would think "What an ungrateful get". You wouldn't care if he was any good at playing football when he was younger.

I understand what you mean Adam but i refer only to his football, the docu--i saw that aswell and she was quoted recently as saying she hopes he doesnt recover :eek: well if thats true who knows what went on but as they say it takes two to tango

I know of a bloke an alchaholic who owns his own pub, had a heart transplant and still goes on benders and yes he is Irish aswell--nice bloke though.

why the reference to "yes he is Irish aswell--nice bloke though.
this is what makes you sound stupid, i dont take offence but youve got to look at what you said and think about it?so what if you get a second chance, im sure weve all had second chances through our lives that could of caused death,if not 3 or 4. the organ would of went to waste george got it, it doesnt mean you have to turn into a saint if you get another chance take it but dont begrudge a man who enjoyed himself.

Freddie,

Hakuna matata.

No offence taken.

I still love you.

Hang on that last bit might have gone a bit far.

Sponsored Links
Freddie said:
jbonding said:
Freddie said:
AdamW said:
Freddie said:
Well if you ever get to see his football on the tv watch it cause he was magical and the best.
[/quotes]

Seeing as the Ronnie Barker DVD compilation was out within days of his death, I wouldn't be surprised if the main TV channels already have the footage cued up :rolleyes:

As to being "the drunk who took the liver", of course that is why people "hate" him. I don't have the slightest clue who he played for, nor do I care. I saw a documentary about him and his wife a few years ago, she seemed to be his rock but he threw that away when he carried on drinking. OK, so who knows if anything else had happened between them?

But the fact is, a man with children, a wonderful wife and a second shot at life is an idiot if he throws it all away for a glass of scotch.

If you read about "Dave Smith, ex-docker from Folkestone who received a liver transplant but then carried on drinking", you would think "What an ungrateful get". You wouldn't care if he was any good at playing football when he was younger.

I understand what you mean Adam but i refer only to his football, the docu--i saw that aswell and she was quoted recently as saying she hopes he doesnt recover :eek: well if thats true who knows what went on but as they say it takes two to tango

I know of a bloke an alchaholic who owns his own pub, had a heart transplant and still goes on benders and yes he is Irish aswell--nice bloke though.

why the reference to "yes he is Irish aswell--nice bloke though.
this is what makes you sound stupid, i dont take offence but youve got to look at what you said and think about it?so what if you get a second chance, im sure weve all had second chances through our lives that could of caused death,if not 3 or 4. the organ would of went to waste george got it, it doesnt mean you have to turn into a saint if you get another chance take it but dont begrudge a man who enjoyed himself.

Oh jesus here we go again--last post cause i have to go

Irish aswell referring to him being irish and george best---nice bloke though . cause he is a nice bloke

now i suggest you get married jbonding and have a row with the mrs like the rest of us do---it does save you tieng yourself up in knots and losing all your friends just as you have done

Oh jesus here we go again--last post cause i have to go

so i take it your loosing the row with the misses

It's very sad to see someone inflict such misery upon themselves.

I flicked in and out of the news channels last night, and have seen this morning's front pages, and George's impending demise seems to have taken on the sort of same importance as when the Pope died now. Live broadcasts from the hospital etc.

Now, I'm not saying that is isn't a news story, but.....

I can't help wondering if he's been an unknown drunk in a hostel whether he'd have had a new liver and a professor watching over him month in month out. Or a pretty blode wife (now gone). Would she have fallen for a hostel drunk like that? They are all in love with fame not the man himself.

joe

The whole thing takes on a life of it's own.
George was unlucky, a young gifted athlete, make no mistake he was that.
Feted beyond the wildest dreams of a youngster just playing football, a good looking, fun loving boy... Free of his family, the fifth beatle played hard all the way, a little 'rudderless' I suppose.
Playing for the 'Busby babes', achieving that European cup (big contribution) for Sir Matt Busby,and all that signified in the soccer world after the Munich tragedy.
A dream player of sublime skill and enormous BRAVERY, never forget it, George never ducked a battle with the toughest cloggers in the league.
Boy's own stuff, he generally ran them absolutely ragged ... Even the least interested, if watching, just desired the 'Vinny Jones hard man' type player to be beaten by the artistic genius, to be made look like a clodhopper.. George did the business.
I have no doubt he raised rather more than most of us for charity down the years... Provided news hacks with a generous living .. Sadly missed out on a happy family oriented adult life, he will know that... Didn't complain tho' did he?
All in all .. he lived, and plenty knew of him, he will have left his mark.
;)

That's true empip. It was the day of the hardman. The Chopper Harris, Norman Hunter and their like. Every team had one.

joe

johnny_t said:
I flicked in and out of the news channels last night, and have seen this morning's front pages, and George's impending demise seems to have taken on the sort of same importance as when the Pope died now. Live broadcasts from the hospital etc.

Now, I'm not saying that is isn't a news story, but.....

Yeah i see what you mean the pope isnt of any significance to most people myself included

empip said:
The whole thing takes on a life of it's own.
George was unlucky, a young gifted athlete, make no mistake he was that.
Feted beyond the wildest dreams of a youngster just playing football, a good looking, fun loving boy... Free of his family, the fifth beatle played hard all the way, a little 'rudderless' I suppose.
Playing for the 'Busby babes', achieving that European cup (big contribution) for Sir Matt Busby,and all that signified in the soccer world after the Munich tragedy.
A dream player of sublime skill and enormous BRAVERY, never forget it, George never ducked a battle with the toughest cloggers in the league.
Boy's own stuff, he generally ran them absolutely ragged ... Even the least interested, if watching, just desired the 'Vinny Jones hard man' type player to be beaten by the artistic genius, to be made look like a clodhopper.. George did the business.
I have no doubt he raised rather more than most of us for charity down the years... Provided news hacks with a generous living .. Sadly missed out on a happy family oriented adult life, he will know that... Didn't complain tho' did he?
All in all .. he lived, and plenty knew of him, he will have left his mark.
;)

I'll second all of that pip.

Hats off to Georgie !!

;)

Thursday May 30, 1968
The Guardian
Manchester United 4, Benfica 1
European Cup Champions following extra time.
.......One thing Benfica knew was that they had to stop Best. Cruz was detailed as the chief hatchet man. At least half a dozen times in the first half Best was hurled to the turf. It was crude, perhaps; it certainly was effective. And for another fowl on Best, Humberto had his name taken.... Stepney's clearance was headed on by Kidd to Best. And here was Best seen at his most brilliant. He took the ball round the defenders, and rounded the goalkeeper too, before popping it into the net.
I believe that impudent, brilliant, second goal for MU - GB in virtuoso mode - knocked the guts out of Benfica .... Anyone who witnessed that, will never, ever forget, the little big man with his arm raised - in victory!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Lights out .. ring down 'finish with engines' around 1pm .. The sun was blazing here... Now another parent must do the unthinkable and bury their child.
Thanks for the memories George.
;)

I wish death on no Man (or woman), however, I hope that now he has passed we can move on and stop arguing over the wrongs and rights of the man. IMHO he made himself seem very ungratefull to the doner and their family by ****ing the new liver up the wall. Shame that it didnt go to a more apreciative recipiant.

He was a fantastic footballer but this was many years ago and he will be remembered for it but this doesnt absolve him from blame for the mess he got himself into.

I too know people who have drink problems but I hope that they would have the sense to be more humbled if they had to recieve a doner organ and make the 'concerted' effort to stop the booze completely.

Saying this, it is still sad to see the fella off and he will be missed.

Hope I havent offended anyone. :)

Sponsored Links
Back