Legend firestrata wont ignite .(electronic remote control )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening people .
Had the above fire for couple of years ,hardly ever used to be honest .
Went to give it a go the other night and pressed the remote .Fire made usual winding up to start noise but did not actually ignite .Battery in remote is OK .

Any ideas on what might be the cause .?
Is there a battery in the fire itself to start the ignite process ?
Is it easy to replace ?

Any clues appreciated .
Regards
Rob .

Sponsored Links
Yes the battery is knackered, they're easy to replace but cost about thirty quid or so. (They don't tell you that when you buy the fires) :evil:

thanks sooey .Is it easy to get at .??

The fire still makes the winding up noise ,is that part on another battery ,with a seperate one to ignite the flame ??

Thanks Again .
Rob.

Just to conclude it was the battery as sooey said .

£35 quid to Legend for a new one .!!!!

Remove the firebrick stoney things .(remember which way they go .!!)
Remove all the small stones .At the back is two screws holding the glass display ,which you then can lift up and out .Behind the display /glass /stone holder is the battery .One screw out and pull apart the connector and replace with the new battery .

Refit in same way as taken apart .
Hope this helps .
Regards
Rob .

Sponsored Links
Hi, can anyone help?

I had the same problem with using the remote to ignite my legend firestrata, i got a new battery from Legend and when i fitted it, it started making some whinning noises for a few seconds and then nothing.

Any ideas anyone?

Possibly a dud new battery .??
Phone Legend and see if they will send out another battery .

When my original battery was goosed ,it made the fire do the whirring sound ,but did not have enough juice in it to kick start the fire to ignite stage .
New battery in and it worked properly again .
Worth a try .
Regards
Rob .

The battery pack for remote fires are stupidly expensive. £40-£80 and may not last even 12 months.

To get round this, use 5 x R20 D batteries. Cut a plastic water pipe the same length as the 5 batteries end to end. The size of the pipe is the one that is slightly smaller than the battery diameter. Cut down the length of this so that when you insert the batteries into it they are a tight fit (to hold them together.) Cut the red and black wires of the defunct pack where they leave the battery and connect to some longer twin cable using a connector. This must be long enough so you can conceal the unsightly replacement out of sight. Now solder the red positive wire to the + on battery and the black wire to the - terminal.

You now hacve 7.5 v to replace the 7.2v. It will last a lot longer than the original pack and will cost less than a fiver.

Good Luck

Interesting.

If the original is 7.2V, what type of battery is it? 7.2V is suggestive of five 1.2V cells in series, and 1.2V cells are usually NiCd or NiMH i.e. rechargable.

The actual part No. is LITHPK 2 (7.2v dc)
It is a sealed Lithium battery that fits snugly in the heat protected metal casing of the fire. From the wrapping, it appears to be just two batteries, presumably connected in series and the same size as the D cell ones I have used, but must be 3.6v or 7.2 depending on how they are joined. An odd voltage I admit, but this is probably intended to stop people like me doing what I have done. I understand these come from France, and this could explain it. No offence meant! Hope it helps someone.

Thanks Robert.

You can actually get 3.6V D-size lithium cells. Two of these in the original battery housing would be another workaround, though at a price (almost £15 per cell incl. VAT). So barely any saving.

10 year shelf life is one of their main selling points, but obviously in these fires, they're drained long before that.

And yes, they're French :rolleyes:

http://cpc.farnell.com/saft/ls33600/battary-3-6v-17ah-d-lithium/dp/BT04633?Ntt=bt04633

C.

Thanks Chris for your proppmt reply and the link to a supplier. Yes those are obviously the ones, and with the £5.95 handling charge (vatable!) two would cost £36.78. Then of course you have to solder them. I appreciate that these would last longer, but I buy the panasonic D battteries 6 for £3.00 on my local market. Perhaps my 5 would equate to about the same life as the lithium 2.

Thanks again. It is a good website which I hadn't used before.

Robert

CPC will give you a paper catalogue if you ask nicely.

Think the p&p is free on orders over £40 +VAT. As they sell such a variety of stuff, it's not hard to make up a big order.

They're part of the Farnell group. Go directly to them if you want the widest selection of electronic components and the best search facilities, to CPC if you want a bit of everything.

http://uk.farnell.com/

• Today I had the same problem as above the battery was dead, I went to my fireplace supplier today and they said it would cost £60 for a new one!! WTF! Basically I wasn't paying that for a 7.5vbat! I simply connected 6 AA's together, cut the connector from my dead bat and taped it in place, it works! I then wrapped all battries in insulation tape and put them in the battery compartment which also has heat protect, if I have any problems I will post them but I don't see why they would be.

My parents have this same fire and came across the same issue a few years ago. They bought a replacement battery from a 3rd party company which lasted for a year or so (they're not sure on specifics) and then the fire had been left for a while.

When I came to look at the issue again today, I took the 3rd party replacement battery apart and found that it was just a 6XAA (1.5v) battery holder (in 3X2 format) with the correct connector, which had been duct taped around and then heat shrinked. So basically what the other comments have said about strapping 6 AA's together. I replaced the batteries and put it back in and it's working correctly again.

You can find similar items on eBay if you search "AA battery holder" (e.g. item #121648384436 - type 6XAA Square), you would still need to splice/solder together the wires from the old battery connector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back